Jan 25, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Every superhero has an origin story. They were sent here from a doomed alien world. They were bit by a radioactive spider. Their parents were murdered in Crime Alley. Whatever the hell boring stuff happened to Aquaman to make him the mediocre whatever-it-is he is.
Scott Boras may not be in the Justice League, but by convincing a team that already had a first baseman and a DH to give Prince Fielder $214 million, he is certainly a superhero of some kind. Probably has mind control powers and the like. And like every other superhero, he has an origin story. And, as expected, it involves Bill Caudill.
Oh, you don’t know that story? In that case, go read Sam Miller’s account of Scott Boras’ first free agent deal over at Baseball Prospectus.
It’s fascinating, because it shows that even at the tender age of 31, Scott Boras was already doing the things he does today. Comically exaggerating his clients’ talents. Asking for silly money. Having, seemingly, no shame. And like today, that stuff worked wonderfully and neither Boras nor his clients had then nor have now any reason to hide from it, because it’s effective.
Like Superman’s heat vision, Batman’s skull-cracking, Spiderman’s web-slinging and Aquaman’s, well, whatever it is he does, Boras has a gift, it’s apparently unstoppable and there’s no reason at all to change his approach until it stops working.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)