Jan 25, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Every superhero has an origin story. They were sent here from a doomed alien world. They were bit by a radioactive spider. Their parents were murdered in Crime Alley. Whatever the hell boring stuff happened to Aquaman to make him the mediocre whatever-it-is he is.
Scott Boras may not be in the Justice League, but by convincing a team that already had a first baseman and a DH to give Prince Fielder $214 million, he is certainly a superhero of some kind. Probably has mind control powers and the like. And like every other superhero, he has an origin story. And, as expected, it involves Bill Caudill.
Oh, you don’t know that story? In that case, go read Sam Miller’s account of Scott Boras’ first free agent deal over at Baseball Prospectus.
It’s fascinating, because it shows that even at the tender age of 31, Scott Boras was already doing the things he does today. Comically exaggerating his clients’ talents. Asking for silly money. Having, seemingly, no shame. And like today, that stuff worked wonderfully and neither Boras nor his clients had then nor have now any reason to hide from it, because it’s effective.
Like Superman’s heat vision, Batman’s skull-cracking, Spiderman’s web-slinging and Aquaman’s, well, whatever it is he does, Boras has a gift, it’s apparently unstoppable and there’s no reason at all to change his approach until it stops working.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments