Must-click link: The Scott Boras origin story

Jan 25, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT

Boras thinking

Every superhero has an origin story. They were sent here from a doomed alien world. They were bit by a radioactive spider. Their parents were murdered in Crime Alley. Whatever the hell boring stuff happened to Aquaman to make him the mediocre whatever-it-is he is.

Scott Boras may not be in the Justice League, but by convincing a team that already had a first baseman and a DH to give Prince Fielder $214 million, he is certainly a superhero of some kind. Probably has mind control powers and the like.  And like every other superhero, he has an origin story. And, as expected, it involves Bill Caudill.

Oh, you don’t know that story? In that case, go read Sam Miller’s account of Scott Boras’ first free agent deal over at Baseball Prospectus.

It’s fascinating, because it shows that even at the tender age of 31, Scott Boras was already doing the things he does today. Comically exaggerating his clients’ talents. Asking for silly money. Having, seemingly, no shame.  And like today, that stuff worked wonderfully and neither Boras nor his clients had then nor have now any reason to hide from it, because it’s effective.

Like Superman’s heat vision, Batman’s skull-cracking, Spiderman’s web-slinging and Aquaman’s, well, whatever it is he does, Boras has a gift, it’s apparently unstoppable and there’s no reason at all to change his approach until it stops working.

1. illcomm - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Lol. I know this comment is that of a sixth grader, but you sound like a schoolgirl with a crush on Patrick Swayze.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

“When the Cubs & Cardinals didn’t make me a major leaguer, I knew the game had to pay. BIGTIME. Not only for me, but for every player in the game who comes to me on their knees, begging for top dollar deals!!! I’ll have the Commish’s office AND the MLBPA in the palm of my hand. I’ll make the union just as rich, and MLB teams revenue streams will fall!!

I had a .363 career OBP and a .738 career OPS – I could have been somebody! I could have ben a contender! They’ll rue the day they never brought me up in the mid-seventies. I’LL DESTROY THEM ALLL!!!!! MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Is what i’m guessing the article will quote Boras as saying.

3. proudlycanadian - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I have mentioned before that the Jays are not a fan of Boras and his negotiating style. The dislike goes a way back.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I don’t think the Cubs do either; I don’t recall any recent Boras client other than Pena and Maddux.

• jwbiii - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Also Jeff Baker, Eric Patterson, Xavier Nady, Julian Tavarez, Carlos Zambrano, Ben Broussard, and Corey Patterson

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You got me; but Z is not a Boras client. Barry Praver is his agent.

4. pitolove124 - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Mike Illitch is a dumbass. He’s going to regret this deal & deals like this is what has fans becoming marginalized little by little. Boras is destroying baseball and The Tigers kept it going because I’m sure there was no other team anywhere near this type contract.

• nategearhart - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

“Boras is destroying baseball”

I am so sick of reading that in comment boards everywhere. What does it mean? Explain how he’s destroying baseball.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

He does make it harder for small revenue teams to sign talent, by continuing to increase market value pricetags. As the game gets richer and players gain more rights in recent decades, he can do this. But it is a shame that Pittsburgh or Kansas City can’t sign a Fielder or Pujols.

Then again, maybe they can and their owners figure, why bother, current franchise statuses considered. But I think he does widen a gap that poorer teams sting from, even with revenue sharing.

• nategearhart - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Speaking as a Royals fan, I understand being bummed that a David Glass can’t (WON’T!) pony up for the most expensive free agents. But the whole “he’s ruinin’ bayzbowl!” thing strikes me as ridiculously hyperbolic. It’s always been rare for a player to stay on one team his whole career. Hell, only 40 something guys in the hall of fame played for one team, and a bigger percentage of them than most people realize played in my lifetime of 30 years.
        Baseball isn’t being ruined because one agent is really good at getting his player a bigger cut of a team’s revenue.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

It isn’t getting ruined but certain teams will always have an advantage. Revenue sharing has closed that gap but there will never be true parity in MLB.

• nategearhart - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I don’t necessarily agree with you that there is no parity, but if there isn’t…does there really have to be? The last two years, and sprinkled in here and there over the years, teams that “had no business winning it all” won it all. And it’s more exciting when they do. It makes the story more interesting. People like seeing the Yankees knocked out of the playoffs. Would they (apart from BOS fans) care as much if the yankees weren’t…well…the yankees? I personally think that a lack of parity can add to the drama, and as long as underdog teams win it their share of times, what’s the problem?

• brewcrewfan54 - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Nate, I see your point but can’t agree with you. Maybe the Yankees being in the playoffs every year help out Fox’s ratings but that’s about it. Where’s the fun knowing going into the season that 1 or 2 playoff spots are already likely spoken for because those teams can outspend everyone else? People like to point out that baseball has had the most amount of different champions over the last 10-15 years or something and call it parity but I along with many other would disagree. It only proves that once you get to the playoffs everyone has a chance. The problem is not everyone has a chance to get to the playoffs. And I say the last part with the caveat that some teams owners care more about taking that revenue sharing money and pocketing it over actually fielding a good team, which is also sad.

5. sknut - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Maybe I am in the minority but Boras is entertaining and does his job quite well. I know he is over the top and probably a pain to deal with but if I had to negotiate a contract I would want him on my side and really at the end of the day no one is forcing the teams to sign the contracts that they do.

6. cur68 - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Now, see, what if Scott Boras was really Aquaman’s alter ego? This would explain so much.

• natstowngreg - Jan 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM

It still doesn’t explain all the hatin’ on Aquaman.

7. APBA Guy - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Ouch-paywall after a few paragraphs. I guess Matt Stairs version above will have to do.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Yeah dude, I can just hear him cackling now, to the point where MIller starts to regret writing the story in the first place.

8. unlost1 - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM

great, the link says you need to subscribe to read the rest

9. gallaghedj311 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Someone should talk to ryan Madson and ask him about Boras’ superpowers…..

10. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

While I dislike Boras, he is just doing his job and he does it well. If we really want prices and salaries reigned in the owners have to quit being willing to give them deals. And as fans we have to do our part, quit going to games but that will never happen. I used to go to 10-15 Brewer games a year. I went to 1 last year. I love them but I’d just rather watch them in a high def TV at home or my local tavern.

11. trevorb06 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Wouldn’t he be more of a super villian? Just sayin’

12. bowltr - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Craig it’s nice that you supply links to stories you reference but in the future if the link is to a pay site maybe you should tell us. Started reading the Boras story and wham……….pay to continue.

Thanks but no thanks!

• nategearhart - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Scott Boras must represent Baseball Prospectus. He’s ruining baseball blogging with his outrageous price demands.

• crisisjunky - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM

And every time, Boras gets a little by 6 degrees.
      TMJ syndrome from uncontrolled smilage every time he looks in the mirror

13. simon94022 - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Stop criticizing Aquaman!

He gives 110% every day/episode/comic book issue. He’s a scrappy superhero who gives great post-adventure quotes. So you know he’s a clean superhero, unlike Batman and Superman, whose unnatural talents have long caused raised eyebrows among Justice League voters.

Sure Aquaman’s natural gifts may be rather mediocre — but he does the little things that don’t show up in the cimic book reports. Besides, we like him and have arbitrarily decided that he is a clean superhero. Therefore he, and not the others, belongs in the Justice League.

• crisisjunky - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Aquaman is a lousy analogy for Boras anyway, it’s not like the Fish or Rays ever come when summoned.
      Tarzan maybe. Ungawa Tiger.

14. QuothTheRaven - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The only thing actually super about Scott Boras is his daughter’s ass. Other than that this guy is a SUPER TURD.

• bigharold - Jan 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM

“… this guy is a SUPER TURD.”

Horse Pucky!

People that criticize Boras forget two very important things;

1. He is doing his client’s bidding. He’s not doing anything the players aren’t aware or likely have discussed at length. If you’ve a problem with Boras then you should have a problem with the players he represents too.

2. He isn’t going down to the middle school and hustling 7th graders for their lunch money. He, at least theoretically, is dealing with career baseball men how know, or at least should know, their business. And, if you consider his reputation they should always be leery of him and his performance projections of his clients. Yet, there are no shortages of GMs that are willing to sign his players. If a GM isn’t smart enough to understand what a player is worth than woes be to that team.

If the owners hadn’t had their own little form of indentured servitude for about 100 years than perhaps players wouldn’t need agents but that isn’t the case. And, people should understand that while players salaries are part of the equation when determining prices for tickets or concessions or even cable subscriptions it’s not the biggest driving force., .. supply and demand is. Owners charge what they think fans will be willing to pay. If every player took a 50% cut in pay tomorrow it wouldn’t change anything other than owners would go from very wealthy men to very obscenely men.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Do you have a picture to prove this?

15. mojosmagic - Jan 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ryan Madson might not agree
    that Scott Is Super. Turned down 44M from the team he wanted to stay with and signs with the Reds for 7M.

• jwbiii - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Except that seems to be not what happened.
      But please, don’t let the best available information get in the way of your narrative.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate