Jan 25, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
Masset made $1.725 million last season and submitted a $2.9 million figure for arbitration after throwing 70 innings with a 3.71 ERA and 62/31 K/BB ratio. Cincinnati countered at $2.1 million.
When the Reds acquired Masset from the White Sox in the mid-2008 deal for Ken Griffey Jr. he looked like little more than a fifth starter or long reliever, but he’s proven to be much more than that with a 3.07 ERA and 228 strikeouts in 240 innings for Cincinnati while adding velocity and emerging as a quality setup man.
Masset, who was already under team control for two more seasons, remains on track to become a free agent following 2013.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 93
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)