Jan 25, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Remember how Jim Crane suggested the other day that the Astros could have their name changed? Yeah, not a very popular idea in Houston. According to this article by Zach Levine of the Houston Chronicle, 80% of 11,000 people (admittedly unscientifically) polled by the paper were opposed to the idea. Levine produces some of the responses.
To be fair, Crane’s comment about a name change was an off-the-cuff thing in response to a question and I doubt he has seriously considered the idea. And even if he has, the mostly negative response he’s received in the past couple of days will put an end to it.
But man, he does need to change the uniforms. The current Astros unis look like they were designed by a focus group. A boring focus group that had been fed a bunch of fatty foods earlier and by then were too tired to put much thought into anything.
Unlike a lot of people I don’t think they need to go back to the rainbows — gotta move forward, after all — but “brick” is not a proper color for a sports team. To that end, a restoration of some orange and blue seem to be in order as does the return of the proper star-H logo on the cap, which was perfection.
Make it happen, Jim. The baseball is going to be hard to watch for a couple of years, so at least give Astros’ fans something nice to look at until the ship is righted.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 44
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)