Jan 25, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Remember how Jim Crane suggested the other day that the Astros could have their name changed? Yeah, not a very popular idea in Houston. According to this article by Zach Levine of the Houston Chronicle, 80% of 11,000 people (admittedly unscientifically) polled by the paper were opposed to the idea. Levine produces some of the responses.
To be fair, Crane’s comment about a name change was an off-the-cuff thing in response to a question and I doubt he has seriously considered the idea. And even if he has, the mostly negative response he’s received in the past couple of days will put an end to it.
But man, he does need to change the uniforms. The current Astros unis look like they were designed by a focus group. A boring focus group that had been fed a bunch of fatty foods earlier and by then were too tired to put much thought into anything.
Unlike a lot of people I don’t think they need to go back to the rainbows — gotta move forward, after all — but “brick” is not a proper color for a sports team. To that end, a restoration of some orange and blue seem to be in order as does the return of the proper star-H logo on the cap, which was perfection.
Make it happen, Jim. The baseball is going to be hard to watch for a couple of years, so at least give Astros’ fans something nice to look at until the ship is righted.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)