People in Houston DO NOT like the idea of changing the Astros’ name

Jan 25, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT

Astros logo

Remember how Jim Crane suggested the other day that the Astros could have their name changed?  Yeah, not a very popular idea in Houston. According to this article by Zach Levine of the Houston Chronicle, 80% of 11,000 people (admittedly unscientifically) polled by the paper were opposed to the idea. Levine produces some of the responses.

To be fair, Crane’s comment about a name change was an off-the-cuff thing in response to a question and I doubt he has seriously considered the idea. And even if he has, the mostly negative response he’s received in the past couple of days will put an end to it.

But man, he does need to change the uniforms. The current Astros unis look like they were designed by a focus group. A boring focus group that had been fed a bunch of fatty foods earlier and by then were too tired to put much thought into anything.

Unlike a lot of people I don’t think they need to go back to the rainbows — gotta move forward, after all — but “brick” is not a proper color for a sports team. To that end, a restoration of some orange and blue seem to be in order as does the return of the proper star-H logo on the cap, which was perfection.

Make it happen, Jim. The baseball is going to be hard to watch for a couple of years, so at least give Astros’ fans something nice to look at until the ship is righted.

1. trevorb06 - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I agree with the H over the star. Perfection.

On that note, I’d like to see the Twins use more of the M (but I still like the TC even though I run into MINNESOTANS who don’t know WTH the TC stands for!)

• kopy - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Which is ironic, because the TC was invented to placate folks from St. Paul who refused to associate with the “M” logo as it could be perceived to stand for “Minneapolis.”

Of course, there are also people who will tell you that TC stands for “true crip.” http://tinyurl.com/7pmxulb

• Bryz - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Admittedly, it took me longer than it should have to figure out what “TC” meant.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM

It doesn’t stand for Top Cat?

2. Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM

The urban crackers who sent the addled son of George H. W. Bush to the state house and Captain Cockroach to congress in the first place, and now have to root for a wreck of a franchise named after a building that no longer even exists and who moved into a building then named for one of the greatest corporate frauds in American history, ought to be more sensitive to a team name that can be so easily played against “ass.”

Well, that all begs the question of what else they could call the team. Something that works well with the Texas mystique. Hmmmm. “Longhorns” is taken. “Oilers” is taken. Ah – here’s one that really gets to the empathetic quintessence of modern Texas: “Executioners.”

• stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Actually, Houston as a city tends to vote Democratic. Perhaps you have missed the identity of our latest mayor. You get out into east Texas and up towards Dallas, then I might be able to accept your indictment a little more easily. And I would note that the name of the stadium was changed after the corporate house of cards was revealed. Although I can’t say “Minute Maid” warms my heart. And the “ass” joke was used up 30 years ago.

Enough of that. I will go back to my suggestion of yesterday.
      1st choice – Astros
      2nd choice – Given the general migration patterns of the country and the fact that “Yankees” is taken, how about “Former Yankees”?
      3rd choice – Armadillos. I wouldn’t mind that as a name (” Dig ‘em Dillo’s!”). But its main advantage is it would force people back to 1st choice.

And the whole silly discussion would be over.

• nolanwiffle - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Who can forget Houston’s one-time minor league affiliate in Florida…the Kissimee Astros.

• cur68 - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I like choice 3: Armadillos. mmm, tatu…

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

stex: I stand corrected. Actually, I have good friends in Houston and love the place, and generally get out there two or three times a year. Often just for the hell of it. Otilia’s on Long Point remains my favorite place in the world for Chiles en Nogada and cream of poblano soup, and it’s also not well known that it’s a great town for Jazz (Cezanne’s is a wonderful little place for small-group jazz). But the suburbs…brrrrrr…Captain Cockroach remains mildly unforgivable.

But we will have to agree to disagree on the name of the team. As recently as The Rocket’s apostasy, New York papers (not that that’s anything to go by, of course – especially when one of them is The Pestilence) were referring to them as the Asstros on a regular basis. But hey, I guess if Mr. and Mrs. Smucker can keep putting their jars of jelly out there, you guys can take the snarking too.

• stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I have not rtried Otilia’s. I do like the poblano soups. Cezanne’s is nice, and not too far from where I live.

The joke first went around in the ’70′s that they should call them the ‘Tro’s because they had already proved the first part of the name.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

stex: by all means give Otilia’s a shot. Have the chiles en nogada – the recipe seems to be right out of Como agua para chocolat. Deadly sopapillas. Great tortilla soup too. Alfresco front patio. If you live over by the museum district, it’s a bit of a schlep but it’s worth it. There’s another really good TexMex place on Richmond not far at all from Cezanne’s – wish I could remember the name of it, though – with a funky backyard alfresco patio with thatched huts and party lights and a bunch of terrific Mexican style seafood dishes in addition to some killer burritos and you have to park a block away in a friendly shopping center.

Also wish I could remember the name of that mammoth Chinese/pan Asian restaurant southwest of downtown, not far from Minute Maid, with the mindboggling cracked pepper crab….

It’s a great food town. No doubt about it.

• stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Near Cezanne you might mean El Tiempo or Azteca, both good. Have heard of the big place with the crab, but not made it. We grew up in Houston, but are just now back from a lengthy absence (down the coast).

My turn to make a concession. I’m not sure, but I think I know who Cap’n Cockroach is. You are right, the town is cosmopolitan but the suburbs are VERY conservative.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Be fair, Gator. Both Bushes were born in Maine and educated in Connecticut.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Maine and Conneticut have done such a complete and effective job of disowning them that one tends to forget that they’re just a bunch of carpetbaggers. I think that the last time history was erased so completely was when the 15th century Aztec vizier Tlacaelel had all the codexes burned and reinscribed to show a direct lineage from the Toltecs.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

There has to be a photo of GW partying at his frat house with a lampshade on his head.

• spindervish - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Et tu, Gator?

You’re about the last person I’d expect to see misusing a phrase as wonderfully esoteric as “begs the question.”

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You’re right. Too offhanded. And I never beg. On the other hand, I’m grateful that Edwin Newman wasn’t around to fry my asstro over it.

3. AGirlintheSouth - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Craig…you just hit the nail on the proverbial head. And I was in a room with Crane last night. He joked about the off-the-cuff response that even the name was on the table for change. He made it clear last night he will listen to what the fans think and that he’d already heard quite a bit on the subject. Based on his comments…no way is he changing the name.

But bring back orange? Please. And the H star logo? Thank you. Those two things would make most Houston fans almost forget the move to the AL.

4. takingbovadasmoney - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I am sure Houston fans will be glad to get this important issue out of the way. Now they can get on to losing 110 games this year.

• stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Exactly. Most of this stuff we are arguing is marketing and smoke screens.

5. gosport474 - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM

The Houston Cannons:
    pays homage to Jimmy Wynn, the Toy Cannon, and still works as a team nickname.

• roycethebaseballhack - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM

That’s actually a better name than you might think, given how much you might or might not know about Texas History, the fight for its independence, and what happened in Harris County during that time, in particular.
      There were two legendary cannons donated to The Texas Army, referred to as, ‘The Twin Sisters”. They played a pivotal role in the battle of San Jacinto. It’s a pretty cool story. They kept track of them for about a century, but they were lost. Prior to his passing, a very wealthy Houstonian (George S. Brown), offered half a million dollar reward for them.

So – good on ya, Mate! That’s actually a pretty cool suggestion.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM

If you want a name that people will very positively associate with the Astros, and it’s been decided that their name must change, I vote for the Houston That-Picture-Of-Ribs-That-Craig-Took-In-Texas’s.

• stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I liked the look of it, too. But sorry to say it looked more like the stuff you get in central Texas. Barbecue is better there.

• APBA Guy - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I don’t know if I ever had better ribs than Rudy’s in San Antonio.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Rudy’s (“The Worst Barbecue in Texas”) is indeed as close to as good as it gets – until you get to the Salt Lick in Driftwood, just south of Austin. You’re driving up from Wimberly and if you happen to be downwind of the place, with its huge open pit grills, and driving with the windows open you will be drooling on yourself long before you reach it. But get there fast – they’ve begun franchising (gagg) and that’s death even to the original place….

• jwbiii - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

“You can smell our pits for miles!” – Salt Lick T-shirt slogan

Their place in Austin Bergstrom Airport is pretty good and the one at the Dell Diamond is probably the best ballpark food I’ve ever had. No, not as good as the original, but still awfully good brisket.

• stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Either one is good, but that part of the state (old Czech/Bohemian/German heritage) is just loaded with good little places. Best plan is to make friends with some of the farm boys from that part of the world and get yourself invited to some of their “friends and family” barbecues.

Best ever.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM

And let’s not forget Round Rock Donuts as long as we’re on the subject of “that area”….our cake people would be apoplectic with ecstasy over those things, especially right from the ovens up at the original bakery. Oh, Buddha….

• jwbiii - Jan 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Ok, this is a few days late and nobody is going to read this, but I’m having a plate of shrimp moment.

The Salt Lick hosts a musical festival. This sort of thing is not uncommon in central Texas. I’ve silently cursed Joe Ely and Butch Hancock for taking up half a parking lot at a strip mall. Nice version of “Snowing on Raton,” though.

The eminently forgettable BoDeans played at the Salt Lick’s festival in 2009.

A college buddy of mine played in a ’70s/’80s pop cover band whose repertoire included the BoDeans’ “Good Things.”

That guy is now a renowned cancer researcher and has developed a drug treatment for a particularly virulent strain of cancer, which is still in the testing phase but looks a helluva lot better than the alternative.

A brother in law of mine was diagnosed with that particularly virulent strain of cancer last week. Brother in law and former college drinking buddy and bass player will be getting together on Tuesday. All best wishes, prayers, Santeria type things, etc. are appreciated.

7. Loose Changeup - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Since they’re moving to the AL to setup a rivalry with the team from the Dallas area, they should change their name to the Houston Cowboys for full troll effect

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5185)