Reds sign lefty Jeff Francis to minor league contract

Jan 25, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT

jeff francis ap AP

From Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com comes word that the Reds have reached agreement on a minor league contract with free agent lefty Jeff Francis.

The deal carries an invitation to major league spring training, where Francis will presumably get a shot at landing a spot in Cincinnati’s starting rotation.

Francis, 31, posted a troubling 4.82 ERA and 91/39 K/BB ratio in 183 innings last season for the Royals. But all minor league deals are low-risk, and the Reds can simply try someone else if he doesn’t pan out as the innings-eater they were hoping for.

1. metalhead65 - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM

wow just wow. there is all in and then there are the reds who apparantly are intent on signing anybody who has major league experiance whether they are any good or not. minor league deals are usually no big deal but then most teams do not have crusty as their manager who never met a vet he would not play over a younger more talented prospect. they are a equal oppertunity employer though, postion player who sucks? no problem come to camp and you can win a job because you are a veteran.are you a pitcher who sucks or have/had arm problems? then the reds are your team!the new slogan should be the small market reds, keeping the dream alive for all washed up players!

2. whodeytn - Jan 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Metal head, lol @ you for thinking you’re cool. It’s a minor league deal, big whoop.

• brucewaynewins - Jan 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

metalhead65 won’t last the season without having a stress induced heart attack.

Rumor is Rick Sweet will be the Reds manager next year unless Dusty goes to the NLCS or better.

I hope we live in a world where the Reds win the world series and Dusty returns. Mostly to see metalhead65’s posts in reaction.

haha

3. uberdepressedbrownsredsfan - Jan 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Metal head you are a hatter stop rooting for the reds it’s a flipping minor leauge deal

• metalhead65 - Jan 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM

first of what is a hatter? second if you are a browns fan why do you root for the reds and not the indians? and third as I have pointed out and has been obvious to anyone who watches dusty baker just because it is a minor league deal does not mean he will not hesitate to pick the vet over a young guy as long as the vet shows a pulse. they have been my team my whole and I can say what I want about them and as a fan it does not make me a hater.

• brucewaynewins - Jan 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

btw metalhead did you know Sean Marshall pitched under Dusty Baker in Chicago? What happened to Dusty destroys all pitchers including people like Harrang that he really didn’t destroy?

4. brucewaynewins - Jan 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

he isn’t a Reds fan. He hasn’t had 1 good thing to say about the Reds in a post since I’ve first seen him on here. I think he is a Cubs fan trolling us. I’m waiting for him to blame Jesus’s crucifixion on Dusty Baker.

• metalhead65 - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

hate to disapoint you bruce wayne but I have been a fan probably longer than you have been alive. just because I don’t greet every move they make with great move walt happy happy joy joy reaction does not mean I am not a fan. as for harrang how do you explain his productivity with the reds before dusty and his injuries and awful record after? as I told you before and you can look it up he pitched4 innings in relief 2 days after last start then went ahead with his next scheduled start. shortly after that he devloped arm problems and spent time on the dl with a forearm problem. he never pitched effectivly for the reds again. I do not care how he pitched with the padsres and that only proves my point,with dusty awful,without dusty a pretty decent pitcher again. if you are a reds fan how can you sit back and say nothing about the boneheaded moves baker makes as a manager? last year proved the reds won in 2010 in spite of him not because of. as long as he keeps making brilliant decisions like not starting somebody the next game after having a multple hit game the night before or hitting 3 homers in a game then I am going to say something. the more he leaves a pitcher in a game when he no longer has it then I am going to say something.I hope he proves me wrong and they do win the series but chances are he won’t be back next year and David Bell not sweet will be the manager. you are such a reds fan you did not know that Bell is the manager now in Louisville and next in line for the job. and wasn’t marshall a starter then? I suppose pitching under dusty had nothing to do with him being a reliever now right? see I do not follow the cubs so I do not know his history,however if he is only used to pitching 1 inning he better be prepared to go 2 or more under dusty.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate