Jan 25, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that left-hander Scott Olsen has agreed to a minor-league contract with the White Sox, who add some rotation depth in case they continue to trade more veteran pitchers.
Once upon a time Olsen was a top prospect and had a strong rookie season for the Marlins as a 22-year-old in 2006, but since then he’s been injured and ineffective with a 5.17 ERA in 522 innings.
Olsen didn’t pitch in the majors or minors last season after being cut by the Pirates and will have to show that he’s recovered from shoulder problems.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12