The Red Sox made an offer to Edwin Jackson too

Jan 25, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Edwin Jackson Getty Images

The Red Sox made an offer to Roy Oswalt? OK, but they also made one to Edwin Jackson. Here’s Jim Bowden:

Red Sox have made offers for Edwin Jackson and are presently in discussions with him and prefer him over Roy Oswalt according to source

Oh, I get it: it’s the old “we’ve made offers to two pitchers, and whoever accepts it first is our man” thing.  Clever, Red Sox. Very clever.

At this rate, Jackson should jump at it. His asking price has gone down considerably since the offseason began, to the point where he is now looking at one-year deals. If he doesn’t sign one soon we may have to take back everything that was said yesterday about the genius of Scott Boras and ask again if he’s not having a bad offseason.

1. Ari Collins - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I’d be surprised (and delighted) if Boston can get Jackson on a one-year deal. Seems he should be able to get more, and he could be even harder up for deals next offseason, which is shaping up to be very strong for SPs.

I’d probably prefer Jackson to Oswalt myself, since he’s got a better health record and more consistent performance, even if his upside is a smidge less.

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM

You are correct about the consistent performance. However, that performance is consistently bad. The Cards learned that he does not have the command necessary to be a consistent winner. His fastball is straight, therefore hittable when not properly spotted, and his slider has movement but again he often hangs it and gets pounded. He has no off speed pitch to speak of and that complicates his effectiveness.

By all accounts he is a good teammate, but I for one am glad the Cards chose not to re-sign him. Oswalt on the other hand knows how to pitch, can still bring heat that moves, and pitches ahead in the count, another attribute that often escapes Jackson.

If you are looking for an innings eater, then Jackson may be your guy, but if you want a shut-down hurler who you can count on to deliver quality starts, there is little comparison between the two.

• Ari Collins - Jan 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I’m not sure where “bad” comes in. Guy’s 3 wins above replacement, which is about a win above average, every single year. He had an ERA under 4 last year. Not sure how that qualifies as “bad.”

2. uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I doubt Jackson will take a 1 year deal. Possibly 2 years but doubtful on 1. If for no other reason if he were to hit Free Agency next year his value would be considerably less when you look and see how as of today the FA market for starting pitchers looks come the 2013 season. He’s probably wouldn’t even be considered one of the top 6 in that market. But that’s just my opinion.

3. dodger88 - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:27 PM

On a one year deal, I’d go with Oswalt over Jackson. For anything multi-year, Jackson is the better bet.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM

If he takes a one-year deal to build value, why would he do it in Fenway against the AL East? I’m not saying a pitcher can thrive in Boston, but if he’s playing the odds, he can probably find a higher percentage play than Boston.

5. Kyle - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The non-existent market for Jackson has really surprised me. Someone is going to get a bargain.

• cur68 - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It could be more the non-existent market for Boras clients. There are only so many Detroit Tigers out there and then only if you’re talking the kind of impact Fielder has. Possibly, EJac just doesn’t have the kind of clout that sees people acquiescing to a Borassing.

6. henryd3rd - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM

This definitely makes up for that Lackey signing by Theo. Cherington is off to a roaring start. First Oswalt and now Jackson. What? They haven’t signed either yet? They just made offers to them? So why are we discussing this crap now?

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Because there is absolutely nothing else going on for the moment.

• oldpaddy - Jan 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Howard Sterns penis!!!!!!!

7. trevorb06 - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Come on Twins! That ‘rotation’ you’ve got going so far is a joke!

8. bigharold - Jan 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Oswalt, .. Jackson? Can my “offer” be far behind? I’m holding out for a two year deal with a vesting option. The vesting part is if I’m alive I’m on the roster. I’m only about 5-6 years older than Wakefield and my fastball floats all over the place like his knuckle ball so I should fit right in.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Leave it to the Yankees to upstage all this news today about the Red Sox making all these offers. By announcing the Yankees and Andruw Jones have finalized the previously announced deal. The deal is now sealed.

9. uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:03 AM

It seems like none of these guys want to play for the Red Sox. They make offers to these players and it’s like the players have left Beantown at the alter. The only players the Red Sox seem to be able to sign/attract are the ones that have no control over their own destiny like Bailey or platoon players like Ross. Oh, one might yet wind up in Boston but that will probably be only after no one else really wanted them and they had no other option but to go to Boston.

Oh how the mighty have fallen after missing the postseason 2 years in a row.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5518)