Chicago ad agencies angry at the Cubs for hiring a New York firm

Jan 26, 2012, 8:21 AM EDT

Don Draper

I’m guessing a baseball team hiring service providers like lawyers, accountants and ad agencies from other cities is pretty common, but I’m drawn to this story anyway. Why? Because I was years behind watching “Mad Men,” and in the last month or so I have been catching up, often by watching two episodes or sometimes even three in one evening.

The things we do when we have tons of free time.

Anyway, I’m up to the beginning of season 4, so I’m gonna be all finished and ready when the new season starts in March.  And I’m totally ready to tear into this little bit of Chicago Cubs business gossip:

In the eyes of a lot of local ad executives, the Chicago Cubs have just struck out.  Big time.

The team lost a big chunk of potential fans from Chicago’s advertising industry in recent days when the Cubs rather quietly announced it had retained a New York-based ad agency, quaintly-named The Brooklyn Brothers, to orchestrate its newest ad campaign with the theme line “Baseball Is Better.”

Cut to Don Draper’s office. Don, having just heard some bad news about his wife/mistress/person from his weird past/Roger/Someone, sits back in his chair with an impatient, annoyed look on his face as the creative team pitches him ideas.

Paul Kinsey:  It’s simple. A picture of a player hitting a baseball and the slogan “Baseball is Better.”

Don Draper [pauses, takes a drag from his Lucky Strike]: “Baseball is Better?”  Better than what? You’re asking me to compare Chicago Cubs baseball to all sorts of things to do in Chicago. I hate to say it, but those other things are going to sound better to me now that I think about them.”

Paul [looks down, sullen, defeated]

Peggy Olson [quickly, hopeful]:  Not better than, better when. “Better when the ball hits Waveland Avenune.”  “Better when it’s played in front of ivy-covered walls.”

Don [takes a gulp of Canadian Club]: Too desperate. Baseball is better. It’s always better and always will be. By merely introducing these thoughts we’re suggesting that it’s an argument baseball has to make rather than have it be assumed. Get back at it. Try harder. I can’t do all of this myself.

1. crispybasil - Jan 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Spot on – I imagine that’s how Craig et. al. speak to the NBC Sports interns.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM

But with a bubble pipe

• kiwicricket - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM

While in his underwear. Absolute most, a bathrobe.

• crispybasil - Jan 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

And Woodford instead of Canadian Club. My bad.

2. unclemosesgreen - Jan 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM

“Don leaves to have a meaningless tryst with a woman far more interesting than his wife Betty.”

That doesn’t exactly narrow his playing field. Betty is even less interesting that the no-talent January Jones seems to be. Can’t emphasize enough how miscast that part was. All of the ranting and raving about what a great show this is ignores deep problems with casting, writing and story continuity.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

She’s great at playing what she is; a childish, irritable, selfish nutball. I think January’s great. We’re not supposed to really like her.

3. muckthefets23 - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Hey uncle Moses, are you completely ignoring the fact that January Jones is smoking hot??! I mean have you seen X Men first class??!

• deadeyedesign23 - Jan 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Up until the last sentence I have his back. January Jones is effing terrible on that show.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Hot but vapid and talentless. Hotness isn’t really a talent, she won the lottery.

Yes I have seen and enjoyed XMen first class. Anyone could have played her part. Megan Fox is smoking hot too. And also vapid and talentless.

I like Mad Men, don’t get me wrong. But it has been critically built up into something it really isn’t. It came out hot, and there comes a time where a show become of such an “unquestioned” status that it stops being questioned.

4. Loose Changeup - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM

In my mind, Freddy Rumsen is the account guy for the Cubs. In a later scene, he gets them all stinking drunk and promises them ownership of the World Series for years to come.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Maybe I’m just too aloof with this kind of business model, but who cares where we get an ad agency from? Ricketts can choose whomever he wants. Maybe he wanted an agency that has more objective thoughts about the Cubs, and in Brooklyn that’s very likely.

They hired Theo/Jed/Jason, they bought the McDonalds lan plot, they’re renovating Wrigley, they got rid of all but 1 nasty contract left on the team…I don’t think this advertising hiring is exactly a miss, either.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Amen brother. The Chicago firms got to put in a proposal just like everyone else, and the Cubs hired the best firm. That’s how it works in a free market. Chicago firms should stop whining about the best proposal winning and focus on trying to have the best proposal next time.

6. foreverchipper10 - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I really need to start watching Mad Men…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Yeah you do. It’s amazing how I can love a show but hate most of the characters.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3420)