Fired as Royals announcer, Frank White stays in Kansas City as independent league coach

Jan 26, 2012, 2:40 PM EST

frank white royals

Frank White was fired by the Royals last month after refusing to take a pay cut to keep his job as their part-time television analyst, but his next job will keep the 61-year-old former All-Star and Gold Glove second baseman in Kansas City.

White has taken a job with the Kansas City T-Bones of the independent American Association. He’s expected to serve in a variety of roles, including first base coach.

White played his entire 18-year career in Kansas City and was the Royals’ first base coach from 1997-2001 before taking a role in the front office, which he later quit to focus on broadcasting. And according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports the Royals fired him in part because he was too critical of the team.

1. The Baseball Idiot - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Another former Royal that Dayton Moore has run out of the organization. Next thing he’ll be doing is pulling down the championship pennants.

2. thefalcon123 - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Wait…wait…

The Royals fired a guy who’s been with the organization since Nixon was President, was a 5 time All-Star and beloved by Royals fans because he was being too critical of team who has had a winning record just once since 1994? The team has spent nearly two decades as nothing more than a punching bag for the rest of the league. White having *anything at all* nice to say about the organization should be seen a huge plus.

3. l0yalr0yal - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It’s not too often we see my boys in blue making the headlines, so I always feel the need for an obligatory post.

The deal with Frank White had us all shaking our heads, cursing, and flinging poo like primitive monkeys. Mr. White has been a face in Kansas City for my entire lifetime, and to see it all go down like this was just disheartening. I’ve met Mr. White several times and he has always been one of the most genuine, down to earth guys you could imagine. He did have that “I’m kind of a big deal in Kansas City, so I want the organization to treat me like it” feel to him, but it was never out of arrogance. He committed 33 years to the Royals, which gives him more time with the organization than anyone else that comes to mind (who prior to this was still in the company). And they just flat dismissed him. Jeff Passan’s article regarding Mr. White being “too critical” never really held and weight. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was true, however Mr. White never really went to anyone and talked about the reasons he was released. I think he did it out of class.

But consider this, David Glass was known pretty notoriously for running a very uniform company. A company that was ran a certain way, and whoever disagreed was expendable. And, if this “too critical” rumor is actually true, it makes a good amount of sense. David and Dayton Moore are running things a certain way, with small player salary numbers and big net profits. If Frank White stood up for the years of mysery these two clowns are dishing us, I’d stand right behind him. Mr. White played for this organization in its’ glory days, and for serving the organization for so long, he damn well deserves to have his voice heard.

I’m glad to see that he has found a new position, but he has been and will be sorely missed by fans. I absolutely do not condone the way he was treated, and sincerely wish David Glass and Dayton Moore would GTFO of Kansas City for good.

4. crisisjunky - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Is this really happening? The T-Bones?!!!!!
    As a kid who parked cars for Sam’s Parking at Municipal Stadium(@$2.75 to park for a game then) before the Truman Complex came into existance, my investment is both long and painful. Disapointment often has gone hand in hand with being a K.C. native, going back to the defacto Yankee farm teams and the 50’s and early 60’s, and on through the orange baseballs, Mule, and eventual uprooting of the team just when it was becoming the Jackson / Rudi / Blue / Bando group.
    The Royals were a MIRACLE at that time, and the meteoric rise to success, even more so. Just think, all those playoff games and TWO Series appearances in five years. And though understated, One can’t possibly overlook what Frank injected into this team. Defensively alone, they would have never accomplished what they did. And that was pretty much the last time anything other than football happened to the city. Herk Robinson saw to it.
    OMFG, so WHAT if Mr.White tossed a couple people under the bus. If the ownership/management
    haven’t been paying attention, let’s just take a step back and peruse the indirection of the last couple decades.
    It’s just a shame that this is happening when the team is finally headed inthe right direction, and Frank won’t be part of the success. And make no mistake this is going to be a kick-ass team fairly immediately, Prince or no Prince. There probably won’t even be room for Butler soon, as Hosmer,
    though (maybe) not out-homering Fielder, will be blowing him off the field in every other phase of the game. Clint robinson and Will Myers are coming, ungodly pitching on the verge, the future is truely bright , and if anyone should be part of process it’s Frank.
    What’s next, Mr. Glass? maybe we should be looking for Brett, Otis, and McRae as greeters in the Blue Springs Wal-mart. ( nearby, by the way, management sat and watched Pujols go to Juco)
    Seriously this takes the cake.

• crisisjunky - Jan 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM

sorry, OF the 50’s and 60’s

• l0yalr0yal - Jan 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM

What do you mean there won’t be room for Billy Butler? They signed him to a very modest contract to be their DH. Hosmer started at first base all season. He will be there for a good while. And there was never any talk of bringing Prince in, even the notation of that makes me giggle. I giggle because GMDM and David Glass shelling out $120 million for any player, ever, isn’t going to happen. I also think it will be a couple more seasons before we see Wil Myers because the organization is in love with Lorenzo Cain that we acquired in the Greinke trade. I assume Myers will make his debut in two more years when Francouer’s contract has expired, or if his production declines you may see some split time in RF before then.

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jan 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

White should be in the HOF. He was the best 2nd baseman of his era, with the possible exception of Ryno.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Okay, okay, let’s not get crazy here.
      First off, their primes didn’t exactly overlap. Sandberg came into the league 8 years after White.

Secondly, Sandberg was better. So was Whitaker, Bobby Grich, Joe Morgan, Willie Randolph and Davey Lopes.

Frank White was a fine player and a finer human being, but this comment is kind of insane.

• The Baseball Idiot - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM

None of them were better than White defensively. White was the best second baseman I’ve ever seen play the game. No one had more range than him, and he had the second strongest arm, behind only Trillo.

I never saw anyone turn the double play better than he did. And there is a precedence for defense in the Hall of Fame. However, it isn’t with Mazeroski. If anyone thinks he’s in the Hall for any other reason than hitting the home run, they don’t know much about the game.

Don’t get me wrong, Maz was great with the glove. But that’s not what got him into the Hall.

But if Mazeroski did get into the Hall because of his glove, then White deserves to go in also. Because he was better.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM

“None of them were better than White defensively”

It’s good to know offense apparently doesn’t matter in your opinion. Because I always thought that was a pretty important part of the game. I guess this means Cesar Izturis still has some hope to go to the hall. Value wise, The guys I mentioned were much better.

“But if Mazeroski did get into the Hall because of his glove, then White deserves to go in also”

Wow, can we follow this to fun places.
        The following people had better careers than Bill Mazeroski, Highpockets Kelly and Lloyd Waner…should they go to the hall (using bWar)?:

George Hendrick
        Dave Henderson
        Garrett Anderson
        Roy Sievers
        Mickey Tettleton
        Lance Johnson
        Del Ennis
        Brady Anderson
        ….

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Those players increased your liklihood of winning more than any of the HOFers would have. Just because the HOF voters royally screwed up with Bill Mazeroski doesn’t mean they just keep screwing up.

• The Baseball Idiot - Jan 27, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Once again, you have failed to read what was written and put it into your own words.

I never said White was a better hitter. I said he was a better second baseman.

That was what I said, and you failed to understand.

Kelly, Waner, Hendrick, Henderson, Anderson, Sievers, Tettleton, Johonse, Ennis and Anderson never played second base.

Why are you comparing their accomplishments as hittes to White’s and Mazeroski’s accomplishments as second basemen?

If you need me to explain that more in-depth, let me know. But I’ve already made it as simple as I know how.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM

“Second base is a defensive position, where players play defense. And White was the best I’ve ever seen at his positiion.”

So, 2nd baseman don’t hit? Interesting….. See, I thought they came up to the plate and what happened up there had an effect on the game. But apparently they don’t. Who knew?

You see, in combination, the players I listed were better at a combination of creating and preventing runs. Now, one player may create a lot of runs and prevent a few and vice verse. But since the object of the game of baseball is to score more runs than the other team, but offense and defense matter.

So, Bill Mazeroski, over the course of his career was worth 11 wins on defense…which is excellent. He was worth 15 wins on offense, which isn’t so hot. In total, he was worth 26 wins.

Now, Jeff Kent was worth -0.8 wins on defense…pretty bad. But he was worth 60 wins on offense. So…do the math. Bill Mazeroski was a much better defensive 2nd baseman. If given the choice…you would choose Bill Mazeroski?

• The Baseball Idiot - Jan 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

You still don’t get it. Offense is not defense, and defense is not offense. It’s two different parts of the same game.

When I’m talking about defense (repeatedly) and you keep referring to offense, you just don’t make any senes.

There is much more to the game than just hitting homeruns. Your failure to understand that does not make my point any less valid.

If you want to talk about the offensive aspect of White and Mazeroski’s game, then say so. I’m talking about the defense side of their game. Once again, two different issues.

Help me out here. I’ve dumbed it down as much as I can. How can I help you to understand this without using finger paints?

6. vols84 - Jan 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

The Royals organization really did Frank wrong.

7. damnyankee13 - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM

good luck Frank White

8. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Don’t know much about Mr White but this doesn’t make the organization look too good. How can you be too critical of a team that hasn’t had more than 1 or 2 winning seasons in 20 years? That kind of record deserves criticism.

9. l0yalr0yal - Jan 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM