Jan 26, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Fausto Carmona‘s legal situation may drag on well into spring training, but in the meantime the Indians have placed the right-hander on the restricted list after he was arrested in the Dominican Republic for falsifying his identity.
Carmona, who was revealed to be Roberto Hernandez Heredia and three years older than his listed age of 28, is under contract for $7 million in 2012. By placing him on the restricted list the Indians open up a 40-man roster spot and put themselves in position to avoid paying him until Carmona/Heredia gets a visa and is cleared to pitch.
Carmona/Heredia was quickly released on a $13,000 bond, but the Indians traded for Kevin Slowey to potentially replace him in the rotation and clearly aren’t counting on him being in camp for the beginning of spring training.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8