Jan 26, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Fausto Carmona‘s legal situation may drag on well into spring training, but in the meantime the Indians have placed the right-hander on the restricted list after he was arrested in the Dominican Republic for falsifying his identity.
Carmona, who was revealed to be Roberto Hernandez Heredia and three years older than his listed age of 28, is under contract for $7 million in 2012. By placing him on the restricted list the Indians open up a 40-man roster spot and put themselves in position to avoid paying him until Carmona/Heredia gets a visa and is cleared to pitch.
Carmona/Heredia was quickly released on a $13,000 bond, but the Indians traded for Kevin Slowey to potentially replace him in the rotation and clearly aren’t counting on him being in camp for the beginning of spring training.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)