Jan 26, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Fausto Carmona‘s legal situation may drag on well into spring training, but in the meantime the Indians have placed the right-hander on the restricted list after he was arrested in the Dominican Republic for falsifying his identity.
Carmona, who was revealed to be Roberto Hernandez Heredia and three years older than his listed age of 28, is under contract for $7 million in 2012. By placing him on the restricted list the Indians open up a 40-man roster spot and put themselves in position to avoid paying him until Carmona/Heredia gets a visa and is cleared to pitch.
Carmona/Heredia was quickly released on a $13,000 bond, but the Indians traded for Kevin Slowey to potentially replace him in the rotation and clearly aren’t counting on him being in camp for the beginning of spring training.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)