Jan 26, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
Motte submitted a $2.4 million request while the Cardinals countered at $1.5 million, so they’re settling for the exact midpoint.
Motte, who’s arbitration eligible for the first time, earned $435,000 last season while saving nine games with a 2.25 ERA and 63/16 K/BB ratio in 68 innings.
He’s expected to be the Cardinals’ closer from Day 1 this season and racking up 30-plus saves in the role would put the 30-year-old (and his beard) in line for a significant raise in 2013.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17