Jan 26, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
Motte submitted a $2.4 million request while the Cardinals countered at $1.5 million, so they’re settling for the exact midpoint.
Motte, who’s arbitration eligible for the first time, earned $435,000 last season while saving nine games with a 2.25 ERA and 63/16 K/BB ratio in 68 innings.
He’s expected to be the Cardinals’ closer from Day 1 this season and racking up 30-plus saves in the role would put the 30-year-old (and his beard) in line for a significant raise in 2013.
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball