The Orioles would consider a four-year deal for Edwin Jackson

Jan 26, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT

Edwin Jackson Getty Images

Edwin Jackson‘s free agent expectations have gone down as the winter has dragged on.  In recent days we’ve even heard-tell that he’d consider a one-year deal.  But never fear, Edwin! Dan Connolly reports that the Orioles may come riding to the rescue:

In fact, I’ve been told the club would consider a four-year deal for Jackson (something the Orioles and/or EVP Dan Duquette wouldn’t usually do for free agent pitchers) given the fact he is only 28. So, yes, they have interest in Jackson.

Connolly says that it’s a longshot given the Red Sox’ reported interest, but I don’t know if I’d be so pessimistic about it. Jackson has bounced around from team to team over the past several years. One would think that if someone were willing to commit to him for four years that he’d jump at the chance, no?

Whatever the case, anyone wanna take any bets on how Jackson would do in the AL East?  Between the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays, an Orioles pitcher has to be efficient and throw strikes or else he’s doomed.  And that’s not exactly Jackson’s game.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:36 AM

So if Jackson doesn’t end up with the Sox and Oswalt does indeed go to the Rangers then what do the Sox have to show for giving up one of the AL’s best hitting shortstops? Oh yeah, a platoon OF who can’t hit RHP.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I agree you have to question the Sox judgement of moving their starting SS for a platoon OF’er if they come up empty in their quest for either Jackson or Oswalt.

They obviously do not have a whole lot of confidence in transitioning Bard and or Aceves into the starting rotation. At least that’s my opinion.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jan 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Personally, I like Aceves as the long man. Last year when the starting pitching started to wilt in the summer heat, Aceves was the saving grace and put up plenty of zeros for a struggling staff that couldn’t gain traction. Yes, Lackey, I’m looking at you.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

rolling – having seen Aceves when he was with the Yankees. I agree that he’s more suited for relief. In my opinion he can give a team 3 sometimes 4 good innings. But after that it tends to be a crap shoot. I do NOT think he is starter material. But that’s just my opinion.

As for Bard I don’t see how in the world they expect to stretch him out to 180 to 200 plus innings that they need from a starter. He’s never pitched more then 75 innings in 3 years with the big league club.

2. uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Let’s see, something like 4 years/$40 to $45MM from the Orioles versus 1 year/$8 to 10MM from the Red Sox. I’m guessing as a Boras client he goes for the Orioles deal if I’m anywhere close to the numbers.

With the group of potential FA starting pitchers coming out next year if he hit’s FA then by taking a 1 year deal. There are probably at least 6 or 7 starters that would be better then him hitting the market as of today that are going to depress his value then.

I say he takes the years and the money this year, if the article above it correct.

3. proudlycanadian - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM

About the AL East Craig. The Jays hit much better than the Rays. Ever hear about Bautista?

4. trevorb06 - Jan 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Translation: Jackson will claim to be considering this offer in an effort to drive his price and/or years up.

5. uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Here is an update about 90 minutes ago about Jackson, the last sentence is the interesting part:

Edwin Jackson Rumors: Thursday
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 26 at 11:05am CST]
    The Red Sox have offered Edwin Jackson a contract and the Orioles would consider offering a four year deal. The market for Jackson — arguably the top free agent remaining — seems to be picking up. Here are the most recent rumors from around MLB:

The Cardinals checked in on Jackson, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets. The right-hander, who finished the 2011 season in St. Louis, has a multiyear offer from an unknown team that’s not the Red Sox or Cardinals.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic