Jan 26, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
He’s probably going to have it repaired on Friday.
According to John Niyo of the Detroit News, Martinez was in Vail, Colorado on Thursday for a second opinion on the potentially season-ending knee injury. If the original diagnosis is confirmed — and there’s about a 99 percent chance that it will be — he’ll go under the knife just before the weekend.
V-Mart, 33, batted .330/.380/.470 with 12 home runs and 103 RBI in 145 games last season. The Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million contract this week to help make up for the loss.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)