Jan 26, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
He’s probably going to have it repaired on Friday.
According to John Niyo of the Detroit News, Martinez was in Vail, Colorado on Thursday for a second opinion on the potentially season-ending knee injury. If the original diagnosis is confirmed — and there’s about a 99 percent chance that it will be — he’ll go under the knife just before the weekend.
V-Mart, 33, batted .330/.380/.470 with 12 home runs and 103 RBI in 145 games last season. The Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million contract this week to help make up for the loss.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)