Jan 26, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
He’s probably going to have it repaired on Friday.
According to John Niyo of the Detroit News, Martinez was in Vail, Colorado on Thursday for a second opinion on the potentially season-ending knee injury. If the original diagnosis is confirmed — and there’s about a 99 percent chance that it will be — he’ll go under the knife just before the weekend.
V-Mart, 33, batted .330/.380/.470 with 12 home runs and 103 RBI in 145 games last season. The Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million contract this week to help make up for the loss.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)