Jan 26, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
He’s probably going to have it repaired on Friday.
According to John Niyo of the Detroit News, Martinez was in Vail, Colorado on Thursday for a second opinion on the potentially season-ending knee injury. If the original diagnosis is confirmed — and there’s about a 99 percent chance that it will be — he’ll go under the knife just before the weekend.
V-Mart, 33, batted .330/.380/.470 with 12 home runs and 103 RBI in 145 games last season. The Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million contract this week to help make up for the loss.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)