Jan 26, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
He’s probably going to have it repaired on Friday.
According to John Niyo of the Detroit News, Martinez was in Vail, Colorado on Thursday for a second opinion on the potentially season-ending knee injury. If the original diagnosis is confirmed — and there’s about a 99 percent chance that it will be — he’ll go under the knife just before the weekend.
V-Mart, 33, batted .330/.380/.470 with 12 home runs and 103 RBI in 145 games last season. The Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million contract this week to help make up for the loss.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 14
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 57
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)