Jan 27, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: My guess was way off. ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that Penny is “weighing an opportunity” with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of Japan’s Pacific League.
7:15 PM: Brad Penny was pretty awful with the Tigers last season. In addition to his 5.33 ERA over 31 starts, his strikeout rate of 3.67 K/9 was the lowest in the majors among qualified starting pitchers. Even worse, it was the lowest by a qualified starter since Livan Hernandez averaged 3.35 K/9 in 2008 between the Twins and Rockies.
With ugly numbers like that, it’s not a surprise to learn that the 33-year-old right-hander is having a hard time finding work with an MLB team. However, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick notes that Penny is drawing interest in Japan.
Just spitballing it here, but it would seem the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters have a void in their starting rotation now that Yu Darvish is officially a member of the Texas Rangers. And Brad Penny seems like the type of guy who would proudly fight to defend ham at all costs. Pretty easy match, really.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)