Frank White and the Royals are having an ugly breakup

Jan 27, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT

frank white royals

Frank White played his entire 18-season career for the Royals, spent years after that coaching and broadcasting their games, and has a statue in front of Kauffman Stadium.

Yet last month the team fired White as their part-time television announcer and yesterday he took a new job on the independent league Kansas City T-Bones’ coaching staff, revealing a few more details about his ouster from the Royals.

White told Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star that he’ll never come back to the organization:

I’m just glad I’m not there anymore. I’m healthier. My blood pressure is stable. I’m laughing a lot more, I’m having more fun. This is good. This is good for me. It’s hard to go to work when the people there don’t see you as an asset, or someone who can help make the team better. When you’re the guy everybody messes with. When there’s nobody there to say, “This is Frank White, this is what he’s done for us, don’t mess with him.”

White, who the Royals paid around $300,000 last year, told Mellinger that owner David Glass fired him because of critical comments he made that supposedly did “irrevocable damage” to the team. And in fairness to the Royals according to Mellinger they got reports from other teams that White was badmouthing them privately.

Whatever the case, it sounds like the 40-year relationship is going to be very difficult to repair. Or as White put it: “I’ll tell you the most disappointing thing in this. Nobody stood up for me. Even when I was making sense to them, or thought I was making sense, nobody stood up for me. Nobody.”

1. l0yalr0yal - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Tell me, David Glass, what could Frank White possibly have said about our organization that isn’t being echoed throughout the country, other organizations and fans alike?

I stood up for Frank White when he was fired. Like I said on yesterday’s post, Mr. White was a true asset to the club, for more years than most of these guys have been alive, maybe his words should have carried some weight. I know he complained about not reinvesting revenue into our players, but so do I. It’s not a happy time to be a Royals fan. I really feel for these young guys like Hosmer, Moustakas, Duffy, Giovatella, Wil Myers, etc. because we are setting a nasty tone for the business aspect of our organization, and you had better believe these guys are going to be living in fear while they’re here, because there is so much uncertainty about their future. Or, maybe it doesn’t bother them that we’re going to develop them and ship them out for bigger contracts and better season records.

2. sportsdrenched.com - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I was initially upset about Frank White being let go. But I have the feeling we’re not getting the Royals side of the story.

You can make jokes about the Royals. I make jokes about the Royals. The Royals deserve every bit of criticism they get until the field a winner. But Geroge Brett is still part of the orgnanization. John Wathan’s wife still works in the front office. There are still people there from the “better days”. I find it hard to beleive this decision was made without consideration of the PR Nightmare they knew it would cause. Something is missing here and it’s not Frank White.

• The Baseball Idiot - Jan 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

We never get the Royals side of the story on anything. Because they never divulge any information until required to do so by MLB rules, and that is done with an attitude.

If you’re a Royals fan, you don’t need to know the other side of the story. You know the team is wrong. They haven’t been right since Muser was hired.

• l0yalr0yal - Jan 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

The Royals organization ran too much like a business, and less like a community, from a fan’s perspective. As fans, we are on a “need to know” basis. And there certainly isn’t much we need to know about, according to David Glass and Dayton Moore.

3. hermitfool - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM

How could anyone be confident Frank was quoted correctly? Love the guy to death, but he always talks with a mouth plumb full of marbles.

4. fuggles7 - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM

In all fairness.. how many people here would still be employed if they were openly critical of their employer and also badmouthed their employer to their competitors behind their back. Especially when making $300,000 per year from said employer. Not many I imagine.

• genericcommenter - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

You are correct, but those employers would possibly be making the wrong decision regardless. Most organizations paying an employee $300,000 should probably expect something more than simply going along with things. At those salary levels, you might expect ideas.

• The Baseball Idiot - Jan 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

He is wrong. White didn’t talk about the organization or the masters. He talked about the mistakes and bad plays the players made on the field.

That was his job.

Besides, next to the ass-licking Lefevre (or however you spell it) gave Glass and Moore, hello was going to sound critical.

• l0yalr0yal - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I wish I could like the LeFebvre comment 1,000 times.

5. genericcommenter - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Frank White, King of Kansas City.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Sorry, no. His Most Benevolent Monarch, Leroy Robert “Satchel” Paige, King of Kansas City, forever.
      White, perhaps a prince, or a duke.

• genericcommenter - Jan 27, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It was a play on the name Frank White. no offense to Paige, of course. The name just fit.

Of course, the KC Frank White came before the Christopher Walken one.

6. thomascreed - Jan 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM

As a lifelong Tiger fan I really think Frank White was an excellent broadcaster. When the Tigers played the Royals I always shifted to the Kansas City broadcast, to have White’s perspective. I liked his objectivity and his voice. I will miss him!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3094)