Giants sign Ryan Theriot to one-year, $1.25 million contract

Jan 27, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT

Ryan Theriot Getty Images

Ryan Theriot has agreed to a one-year, $1.25 million deal with the Giants that includes $750,000 in potential incentives, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

Theriot has been a starter for most of the past five seasons, but his performance ceased warranting regular playing time several years ago.

He hit just .271 with a .321 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 132 games last season–which was actually better than his 2010 production–and at age 32 is a sub par defender at shortstop.

Of course, Heyman called Theriot “a good veteran shortstop option” because … well, that’s what he does.

Theriot figures to compete with 25-year-old Brandon Crawford for the starting job in spring training and Crawford is a weak enough hitter that Theriot might actually have a chance to win the gig. And if not he’ll settle for a utility man role. If nothing else Giants fans should be used to this after they signed Miguel Tejada to be their starting shortstop last winter.

1. APBA Guy - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Real excitement. Fontenot and Theriot give the Giants the Cubs middle infield from 5 years ago, and the LSU tandem from 7 years prior to that. Maybe now we can get a decent Louisiana style restaurant in SF, and not the California sensibility imitations that open and close with startling regularity here. Put some damn butter in the roux, damn it: “Fat is flavor” – Chef Paul Prudhomme.

• jwbiii - Jan 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Heh. I’m planning a trip to New Orleans for my 20th anniversary. We honeymooned there and are frequent visitors. And I scramble my eggs like a Cajun: First, you make a roux. . .

2. Gamera the Brave - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I started to get annoyed at this, remembering that it’s been years since we have had a really good shortstop – Omar (great glove, poor bat), Uribe (good arm, fair fielder, fair bat), and Tejada (too far past his prime). Then I thought about the availability of really good shortstops that were actually available this winter – and except for Reyes they were all really flawed (even Rollins). There just wasn’t anyone better to get without breaking the bank…
    Maybe Crawford will have learned how to hit ML pitching, he is a great defender, and if he could hit as well as even Uribe we would be fine there…

• paperlions - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Theriot can’t hit or field, and TOOTBLAN. A better option than Theriot is playing with a 24 man roster or using whoever you have in AAA.

• Gamera the Brave - Jan 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Paper,
        Just looked up TOOTBLAN (Bless you, Internets!).
        I don’t laugh out loud a lot, but that drew a full-on guffaw!
        Thanks for teaching me a new acronym!

And thanks for causing me additional Giants angst…

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Watch out Bay Area, the bodacious Theriot-Fontenot-“Ask me if they’re good and I’ll respond with the last syllable of both of their names”-Duo tandem are back together!

4. granted42 - Jan 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM

If I could find a word that was far less exciting than underwhelmed, I might comment on how I feel about this and other off season moves the Giants have made. It’s a good thing I’m so broke, I’m not even tempted to think about buying a ticket to even one game. I didn’t think the Giants offense could get any more pathetic than 2011, but I guess the front office plans to prove me wrong.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2673)