Jan 27, 2012, 1:28 PM EST
No, I’m not being sarcastic. I have seen the freakin’ light. Read on.
Everyone knows that I have a long history of allowing Jeff Francoeur — or, rather, the idea of Jeff Francoeur — drive me crazy. I never liked his game. I mocked the claims of his surrogates in the media that he was better than we thought. I was highly skeptical that he’d ever match his lofty reputation, etc. etc.
Last year, you may recall, I met Jeff Francoeur and discovered that … he was a great guy. Like, super nice. It made me rethink the whole idea of how and why we rip players and what it all means. And then he went and had a really spiffy season in Kansas City, thereby rendering most of my Francouer whining moot. Yeah, at the end of the year he got a new contract that was probably too big, but at this point Francoeur has earned the benefit of the doubt with me. I have no standing to get on him for a very long time, truth be told.
Way less so now that I read this story by Bojan Koprivica over at The Hardball Times in which Francoeur gave opposing fans $100 and an autographed baseball with explicit instructions on it to use the money to purchase bacon dogs and beer.
Yes. It’s true. Go read it. And then tell me that Jeff Francouer isn’t the finest sonofabitch who ever put on a major league uniform.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40