Jan 27, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
“I’ve been hitting with him every day (at the Angels’ minor-league complex in Tempe, Ariz.) and he looks strong,” Angels centerfielder Peter Bourjos said Wednesday. “Monday was the first time he took live BP (with a coach throwing) and he was popping them out from both sides. “It’s very impressive.”
Granted, Bourjos isn’t the most objective observer here, but even if he’s exaggerating, it’s a big improvement over last year. I was at Angels’ camp the day of their first spring training game last March and was around early for BP. Morales was there, but he didn’t hit. People — even people connected with the Angels — were whispering stuff about him, shaking their head and looking sad. No one could even pretend.
Oh, and bonus: Bourjos says that Morales has lost weight and looks to be in great shape, so there’s that too.
If Morales can return to 2009 form, it’ll be like the Angels signed two crazy-good hitters in the offseason, not just one.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)