Jan 27, 2012, 7:25 AM EDT
The Athletics have cast off players like crazy this winter and look to have something of a talent deficiency. But if you go to the movies, you know exactly how a team like the Athletics solves this problem: they dress up as a British nanny to get closer to their kids and, in the process, win back the love of their ex-wife and learn a little something about themselves.
What, you were expecting “Moneyball?” Pfft. That stuff don’t work.
Anyway, they’re also willing to consider almost anyone as long as they’re cheap and as long as they could maybe hit the ball. That describes Manny Ramirez pretty well, and A’s owner Lew Wolff wouldn’t have any problem with his team taking a chance on Manny. From Jon Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle:
“I really don’t see any non-baseball reason for not having him. I wouldn’t want to not have a player because he made a mistake and paid the price for it, but that’s really up to (general manager) Billy (Beane).”
Almost zero cost and a potentially half-decent reward if Ramirez could even manage to be a shadow of his former self. It’s at least worth bringing the guy to camp, no? It’s the A’s we’re talking about here.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)