Say what you want, but Miguel Cabrera has the right attitude about playing third base

Jan 27, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Miguel Cabrera

We’ve pretty much beat the whole Prince Fielder-to-Detroit, Miguel Cabrera-to-third base stuff into the ground, but I think there’s room for one more little nugget. From Michael Rosenberg’s story about it all in the Detroit Free Press:

Cabrera wants to play the field; when I asked him last week what he wanted to improve most this off-season, he said he has a goal of winning a Gold Glove.

You may call Cabrera crazy, but remember: Derek Jeter has like a half dozen of them, so we know that defensive proficiency isn’t a prerequisite for winning a Gold Glove.

I’m rooting for this, actually.

1. derekjetersmansion - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Prince Fielder = Juan Gone.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Prince Fielder=Juan Gone. if Juan Gone also posted really, really high OBP’s….which would make a really, really excellent baseball player.

Actually, Juan Gone himself pretty good anyway. What was the point of your post?

• derekjetersmansion - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Prince will be disappointing.

• Old Gator - Jan 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Prince will be 10% first baseman, 65% goalie (he’ll block more balls with his puppick than his glove) and 25% disinterested observer of balls he couldn’t get to in the first place.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Trolls gonna hate.

2. lovesmesomeme - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM

See Hanley that’s how you do it. Get your head out of your a&$ and make the move

• cktai - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Moving from first to third is an improvement, moving from short to third not so much.

• cktai - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

At least that is in my experience as a player.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Hanley moving from SS to 3B will be an improvement for the team, even without considering the addition of Reyes.

If the individual players look at what is best for the team, instead of themselves individually, it is not hard to see. Cabrera moving to 3B long term may not work out, but he might as well come into the season planning on being the 3B guy, as eventually it will let the team play VMart, Prince and Miggy in the same lineup. That is a pretty awesome goal. VMart could even catch once in a blue moon to let another DH into the lineup (dunn Dunn DUNN!)

• trevorb06 - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I’m amazed Jose hasn’t said, “Fine you damn crybaby, I’ll go to third.”

• El Bravo - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Still…no one has actual proof that Hanley is adamantly resisting a move to 3B. No news doesn’t always mean bad news. Link me an article stating that he’s upset and is resisting the move and make sure it contains an accurate and relevant source to that info. Speculation is all it is at this point.

• Old Gator - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Try loving you some reading. Hanley’s pretty much OK with the move now, in principle, and has been for some time now. Anyway, one should always take speculation in the sports press about how a player feels and then f(x)=a_0+∑_(n=1)^∞▒(a_n cos⁡〖nπx/L〗+b_n sin⁡〖nπx/L〗 ) to find the kernel of truth in it. If you do this correctly, you may stumble over a Higgs boson first.

• El Bravo - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM

One time I smoked a Higgs boson and it caused everything to taste like purple.

• Alex K - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM

When did Hanley say anything about being unhappy? He didn’t? Oh you’re just going off what people who hadn’t spoken to Hanley said. I get it.

3. trevorb06 - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Miggy (when sober) has always been a class act and a fan favorite. Even when he was in MN playing my Twins he was a fan delight.

I’d rather have Miggy and his shotty D playing third with that helluva positive and WINNING attitude than Hanley reluctantly going there being a primadonna in the process and pouting.

• Alex K - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

He did that? Show me where there are any quotes from him about being unhappy.

Don’t come back with all the “I talked to a guy who knows a guy” stuff that has been “reported”.

4. drakej541 - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No way he’s winning a gold glove at third with Beltre playing the defence he plays in Texas. I watched him win multiple gold gloves while with the M’s, and he’s still the best defensive third baseman in the entire league, not just the AL.

• Old Gator - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

There is no way he is winning a gold glove at third, period.

• trevorb06 - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I wouldn’t speak so quick. See Jeter, Derek.

• Old Gator - Jan 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

The Fat Prince is a long way from radiating Beep-Beep’s charisma. He may be named “Prince,” but he’s more like an affable Shrek to Jeter’s diffident royalty.

• Old Gator - Jan 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Speaking of which, put that Tigger uniform on Shrek and stand back – oh, about fifteen or twenty feet to get the entire picture in the frame.

See what I mean?

5. sloozeronymous - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Craig, are you rooting for this just because you’re actually rooting for this, or because you’re dating a Tigers fan?

Bromigo, before that, I’d say that all the Batman-related posts more than made up for you being a Braves fan from Columbus (yes, I know you’ve explained that, and yes, I’ll still irrationally believe that everyone from Ohio should pick an Ohio team to root for). But now rooting for this Tigers business…I don’t know. That’s a lot for a Cleveland reader to handle. #surroundedbyenemies

6. pitolove124 - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Imagine McDonalds taking advantage of the great marketing opportunity with the Tigers. They can make a burger called “THE CORNERS” or “THE 3 & 4″ or The Super Deluxe Quadruple Big Mac nicknamed: “THE PRINCE-MIG”

7. mcsnide - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Hey, a man can dream. Just like Manny: http://www.aolnews.com/2008/05/12/manny-ramirez-wants-a-gold-glove/

8. lembeck4 - Jan 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I remember when the Tigers moved Miguel to 1B in ’08 after the bad start at 3B. Miggy had several throwing errors that in all honesty could have been attributed to Carlos Guillen, who was playing 1B briefly. But admittedly Miguel was not good. He was pretty bad at 1B as well, at first. However, he’s improved each season and was impressive last year. With a little patience and dedication, and the attitude mentioned above, he’s got a real shot at becoming more than acceptable at 3B.

• cur68 - Jan 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Given that he appears to have spent the off season turning himself into Mr. Buff, I think you can add “fitness” to “a little patience and dedication” and I’d say that shot at becoming more than acceptable at 3B becomes a likelier possibility.

All the trade deadline news to know