Jan 27, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
We’ve pretty much beat the whole Prince Fielder-to-Detroit, Miguel Cabrera-to-third base stuff into the ground, but I think there’s room for one more little nugget. From Michael Rosenberg’s story about it all in the Detroit Free Press:
Cabrera wants to play the field; when I asked him last week what he wanted to improve most this off-season, he said he has a goal of winning a Gold Glove.
You may call Cabrera crazy, but remember: Derek Jeter has like a half dozen of them, so we know that defensive proficiency isn’t a prerequisite for winning a Gold Glove.
I’m rooting for this, actually.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 13
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 24
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)