Jan 27, 2012, 5:35 PM EST
The last we heard about John Maine was last summer when it was reported that he might retire. And he hasn’t pitched in the bigs since 2010. But Soxprospects.com reports that he’s signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox.
Don’t expect much here. Maine had an ERA north of 7 in Colorado Springs last year and then had more issues with his shoulder. Issues that date back to 2010.
Good luck and all, but the odds of Maine seeing any major league time are exceedingly slim.
UPDATE: Alex Speier of WEEI.com hears that the deal does not include a spring training invite.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 15
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 74
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)