Jan 27, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
The last we heard about John Maine was last summer when it was reported that he might retire. And he hasn’t pitched in the bigs since 2010. But Soxprospects.com reports that he’s signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox.
Don’t expect much here. Maine had an ERA north of 7 in Colorado Springs last year and then had more issues with his shoulder. Issues that date back to 2010.
Good luck and all, but the odds of Maine seeing any major league time are exceedingly slim.
UPDATE: Alex Speier of WEEI.com hears that the deal does not include a spring training invite.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)