Jan 27, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
The last we heard about John Maine was last summer when it was reported that he might retire. And he hasn’t pitched in the bigs since 2010. But Soxprospects.com reports that he’s signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox.
Don’t expect much here. Maine had an ERA north of 7 in Colorado Springs last year and then had more issues with his shoulder. Issues that date back to 2010.
Good luck and all, but the odds of Maine seeing any major league time are exceedingly slim.
UPDATE: Alex Speier of WEEI.com hears that the deal does not include a spring training invite.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)