The Yankees are interested in Raul Ibanez

Jan 27, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Raul Ibanez, Yadier Molina AP

Kevin Kernan of the New York Post says that the Yankees are interested in free agent Raul Ibanez.

It would be a good fit, actually. A lefty, Ibanez and Andruw Jones would make a pretty good DH platoon. And both of them can play left field too if need be.  Having him — as opposed to some DH-only type — would give Joe Girardi maximum flexibility to rotate anyone he needed to through the DH slot, be it those two, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Jeter, or whoever.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM

As the piece says “A lefty, Ibanez and Andruw Jones would make a pretty good DH platoon. And both of them can play left field too if need be.

I’m in full agreement.

• paperlions - Jan 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Ibanez can stand out there, I guess. But his defense make Berkman look like a GG outfielder.

• uyf1950 - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I’m sure the Yankees wouldn’t be signing him for his glove. Since “standing out there” IF necessary is a side benefit to him being the Left Handed DH.

• cur68 - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

IMO NYS so small that any ball hit with authori-TIE down the line gonna be out in the seats. I bet he CAN just stand there, for the most part. Anything else, then Granderson will bail him out if Ibanez has to range more than 10 or so strides to his left. Between those 2 factors, Ibanez could look like a GG.

• fatass5 - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM

he didnt play that bad in the outfield i wish he still was a phillie

2. proudlycanadian - Jan 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It seems to be a good combination.

3. yankeesgameday - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

All this left field platoon talk bugs me because it is only needed since Brett Gardner hasn’t stepped up his game to put the mortal lock on the position that performance at the plate would give him.

I have always thought he was not living up to his talent, but recently I’ve wondered if Gardner isn’t the George Thorogood of baseball players. See, the Delaware Destroyer was knocked in guitar playing circles as someone who can obviously play guitar but people would see his show and wonder why he never elevated his playing to a true Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton level. He was called an under achiever for years. But then Thorogood gave an interview and said that people always got him wrong, he was never going to be a virtuoso, he never had a ton of god given talent and that he had to work his ass off just to be as good as he was.

He had a ceiling and he had to struggle just to stay there.

And I wonder if Gardner fits that mold. I wonder if the talent we see isnt about untapped innate potential, but is the ceiling on him as a player and it is only thanks to intense hard work that he is even this good.

If that’s the case, then I’ll embrace that and look at the platoon situation differently and i’ll have to stop waiting for Gardner to tell all the other left fielders that the “big dog’s moving in.”

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I think people are really talking about a DH platoon. These guys can play LF if necessary, and in Ibanez case, it would have to be a cataclysmic type emergency to move ahead of Gardner, Andruw and Eduardo Nunez (and maybe even Mariano and DRob, as I hear they are partial to shagging fly balls in BP) for him to see LF. Or maybe in a >10 run blowout.

I do think you are right about Gardner, though I wonder how much the jerking around has to do with his inconsistency (CF-LF-CF; leadoff-9th-leadoff; plays against a lefty-sits against a lefty-plays against a lefty). I think all of these things require a bit of time to acclimate, and that is something the Yankees have not given Gardner. I wonder if he would have developed into more of a star by now if he was on a team with less pressure.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM

That second point was supposed to be about Gardner’s inconsistent usage, not the inconsistency of his performance. Or more to the point how his inconsistent usage MAY CAUSE his inconsistent performance. I’ll stop editing now. Some please make me stop…

4. Francisco (FC) - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM

And both of them can play left field too if need be

You mean both of them can stand out there and make routine catches look spectacular?

• paperlions - Jan 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM

or turn them into doubles, yes.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I thought he meant they could both stand out there at the same time.

5. buffalomafia - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Sounds good to me! Now the Yanks should pursue David Wright from the Mets!

6. maritime85 - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM

rather have Damon

• bigharold - Jan 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Me too. Damon offers more, in my opinion, offensively.

Also, I think he’s under rated in many ways. He could never throw but he usually ran down everything that went his way and caught it. The guy is clutch, .. he rises to big moments. He’s got great baseball instincts and he can still run. All these things he does better than Ibanez.

Hell, if the primary attraction is his bat, I like Matsui more than Ibanez.

7. damnyankee13 - Jan 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

yeah, David Wright on third and Arod as dh, give the Mets Inenez]

8. rexadelphia8 - Jan 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuul not the Yankees, anywhere but

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS