Jan 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
Some unfortunate news to pass along.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson suffered two fractures in his rear shoulder area, including a broken clavicle, after falling more than six feet off the back of a stage last night.
The 74-year-old was in attendance for a player reception and memorabilia auction at the at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida in advance of the annual Joe DiMaggio Legends Game.
Robinson suffered the injuries when he leaned back against a curtain on the stage, only to find that there was no railing behind it. Very scary. He was quickly transported to a local hospital as a precautionary measure after being treated by paramedics. Kevin Janser, the executive vice president for the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Foundation, told Capozzi earlier this afternoon that he understands Robinson is “doing fine,” but had no further details.
Get well soon, Brooksie.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)