Jan 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Some unfortunate news to pass along.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson suffered two fractures in his rear shoulder area, including a broken clavicle, after falling more than six feet off the back of a stage last night.
The 74-year-old was in attendance for a player reception and memorabilia auction at the at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida in advance of the annual Joe DiMaggio Legends Game.
Robinson suffered the injuries when he leaned back against a curtain on the stage, only to find that there was no railing behind it. Very scary. He was quickly transported to a local hospital as a precautionary measure after being treated by paramedics. Kevin Janser, the executive vice president for the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Foundation, told Capozzi earlier this afternoon that he understands Robinson is “doing fine,” but had no further details.
Get well soon, Brooksie.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)