Jan 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Some unfortunate news to pass along.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson suffered two fractures in his rear shoulder area, including a broken clavicle, after falling more than six feet off the back of a stage last night.
The 74-year-old was in attendance for a player reception and memorabilia auction at the at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida in advance of the annual Joe DiMaggio Legends Game.
Robinson suffered the injuries when he leaned back against a curtain on the stage, only to find that there was no railing behind it. Very scary. He was quickly transported to a local hospital as a precautionary measure after being treated by paramedics. Kevin Janser, the executive vice president for the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Foundation, told Capozzi earlier this afternoon that he understands Robinson is “doing fine,” but had no further details.
Get well soon, Brooksie.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)