Jan 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Some unfortunate news to pass along.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson suffered two fractures in his rear shoulder area, including a broken clavicle, after falling more than six feet off the back of a stage last night.
The 74-year-old was in attendance for a player reception and memorabilia auction at the at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida in advance of the annual Joe DiMaggio Legends Game.
Robinson suffered the injuries when he leaned back against a curtain on the stage, only to find that there was no railing behind it. Very scary. He was quickly transported to a local hospital as a precautionary measure after being treated by paramedics. Kevin Janser, the executive vice president for the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Foundation, told Capozzi earlier this afternoon that he understands Robinson is “doing fine,” but had no further details.
Get well soon, Brooksie.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11