Jan 28, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Some unfortunate news to pass along.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson suffered two fractures in his rear shoulder area, including a broken clavicle, after falling more than six feet off the back of a stage last night.
The 74-year-old was in attendance for a player reception and memorabilia auction at the at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida in advance of the annual Joe DiMaggio Legends Game.
Robinson suffered the injuries when he leaned back against a curtain on the stage, only to find that there was no railing behind it. Very scary. He was quickly transported to a local hospital as a precautionary measure after being treated by paramedics. Kevin Janser, the executive vice president for the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Foundation, told Capozzi earlier this afternoon that he understands Robinson is “doing fine,” but had no further details.
Get well soon, Brooksie.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)