Jan 28, 2012, 8:17 PM EDT
White Sox GM Kenny Williams got the rockstar treatment at Sox Fest after bringing in Adam Dunn last year. A 79-83 season later, the reaction was far different Friday, as he was booed during introductions.
“I was booed in 2004 and 2007 and we went to the playoffs the next year, so bring it on. Hopefully we’ll be three for three,” Williams said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. “The guys on stage were trying to determine a percentage, and the consensus was 10 percent. I thought it was more like 20.”
Williams had to be prepared for the reaction after he allowed Mark Buehrle to walk and traded Carlos Quentin and Sergio Santos this winter. His team has been completely silent in free agency, and none of the players picked up in trades figure to help immediately. More than a couple of high-priced veterans will need to have bounce-back seasons for the team to challenge in the AL Central this year.
“The Tigers are clearly the team to beat in our division,” Williams said. ”We’ve been clearly the team to beat in our division a number of times, too. It didn’t exactly work out well for us. Let’s hope it doesn’t work out well for them.”
For the full interview, head on over to CSNChicago.com.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte