Jan 28, 2012, 8:17 PM EDT
White Sox GM Kenny Williams got the rockstar treatment at Sox Fest after bringing in Adam Dunn last year. A 79-83 season later, the reaction was far different Friday, as he was booed during introductions.
“I was booed in 2004 and 2007 and we went to the playoffs the next year, so bring it on. Hopefully we’ll be three for three,” Williams said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. “The guys on stage were trying to determine a percentage, and the consensus was 10 percent. I thought it was more like 20.”
Williams had to be prepared for the reaction after he allowed Mark Buehrle to walk and traded Carlos Quentin and Sergio Santos this winter. His team has been completely silent in free agency, and none of the players picked up in trades figure to help immediately. More than a couple of high-priced veterans will need to have bounce-back seasons for the team to challenge in the AL Central this year.
“The Tigers are clearly the team to beat in our division,” Williams said. “We’ve been clearly the team to beat in our division a number of times, too. It didn’t exactly work out well for us. Let’s hope it doesn’t work out well for them.”
For the full interview, head on over to CSNChicago.com.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)