Jan 28, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
The Mariners product on the field isn’t the only thing in need of repairs.
Seattle’s FanFest was dampened Saturday because two of the retractable roof’s panels remained stuck in place, the result of a broken wheel and axle.
The problem was discovered Thursday, but the Mariners went ahead with the FanFest anyway. While they were able to keep most of the field and activities covered, a light rain fell on the east side of the field.
“The good news is it’s now, and not when we’re playing baseball,” vice president of ballpark operations Scott Jenkins said. “If it happened during the season, it could be a problem. But we have time to deal with it.”
The roof is expected to be fixed next week.
According to MLB.com’s Greg Johns, the Safeco roof has failed just once during a game, that leading to a 54-minute rain delay in a contest versus the Rangers on July 23, 2000.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 19
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)