Jan 28, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
The Mariners product on the field isn’t the only thing in need of repairs.
Seattle’s FanFest was dampened Saturday because two of the retractable roof’s panels remained stuck in place, the result of a broken wheel and axle.
The problem was discovered Thursday, but the Mariners went ahead with the FanFest anyway. While they were able to keep most of the field and activities covered, a light rain fell on the east side of the field.
“The good news is it’s now, and not when we’re playing baseball,” vice president of ballpark operations Scott Jenkins said. “If it happened during the season, it could be a problem. But we have time to deal with it.”
The roof is expected to be fixed next week.
According to MLB.com’s Greg Johns, the Safeco roof has failed just once during a game, that leading to a 54-minute rain delay in a contest versus the Rangers on July 23, 2000.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (102)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)