Jan 28, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the A’s still have some interest in bringing back Conor Jackson. The 29-year-old was mentioned as a possibility even before the club re-signed Crisp earlier this month.
Jackson, a first-round pick of the Diamondbacks in 2003, had an impressive .292/.371/.451 batting line and an .822 OPS over his first three full seasons in the big leagues. However, he hasn’t been the same player since missing most of the 2009 season with Valley Fever, posting an ugly .241/.320/.336 batting line and a .656 OPS over the past two seasons. He has also battled numerous injuries, including a banged up knee after the A’s traded him to the Red Sox prior to last year’s August waiver deadline.
Jackson bats right-handed, has solid plate discipline and can also play some first base, so most teams would likely jump at the chance if he’s willing to accept a minor-league deal. Though there’s nothing to suggest the Rays are legitimately interested, our own Matthew Pouliot mentioned them as a potential fit earlier this week.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)