Jan 29, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
It’s not clear whether those talks were all internal or whether there’s been direct contact with Kotchman’s representatives. But it does seem like a decent fit.
Kotchman is an elite defensive first baseman and registered a solid .306/.378/.422 batting line in 563 plate appearances last season for the Rays. Signing him would allow Baltimore to make Chris Davis the primary designated hitter while also pushing Wilson Betemit to a utility role. The Indians have also been linked recently to Kotchman.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)