Rickie Weeks still not fully recovered from ankle sprain

Jan 29, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT

weeks getty Getty Images

It’s been nearly six months since Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks suffered a severe left ankle sprain. And he’s still in recovery mode.

Weeks was able to return from the injury last season, but he batted just .243 with a .743 OPS over his final 46 regular-season plate appearances and went 6-for-41 (.146) in the playoffs.

Weeks talked about his ongoing rehab Sunday afternoon at the Brewers’ fan convention (via Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel):

“I’m almost at 100 percent. Very close,” Weeks said at “Brewers On Deck” at the Frontier Airlines Center in downtown Milwaukee. “Still doing rehab back home, and doing precautionary stuff to get ready for spring training.

They kind of warned me that something like this would probably take some time. The baseball activities, I can do everything. Just a little strengthening here with all the muscles around the ankle. But I’m pretty optimistic about it.”

The 29-year-old Weeks has tallied 49 home runs, 58 doubles and 132 RBI over the past two seasons.

1. orangeflh - Jan 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Weeks is one of my favorite brewers of all time. Nobody out-hustles or works harder than Rickie Weeks and he’s always had a great attitude.

• veistran - Jan 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Little Nicky Punto disagrees about nobody out-hustling Rickie Weeks.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I knew the injury was bad but I didnt think 6 months later it would still be an issue.

• foreverchipper10 - Jan 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I suffered a high ankle sprain 2 years ago. It still bothers me to this day.

3. randygnyc - Jan 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Wow, are the brewers fucked up in 2012, or what?

• schuch10 - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

A simple look to the WAR values of the 2011 v 2012 (w/ a suspended Barun) teams says No!

4. mattymo - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Can’t spell Weeks without a couple of E’s and a K!

Orioles turn AL East on its head