Tim Wakefield, 45, is considering retirement

Jan 29, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT

wakefield wide getty Getty Images

Veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield has made it known that he wants to pitch one more year for the Red Sox. But the new Boston front office hasn’t made an offer yet and now the 45-year-old is mulling all of his options. Including retirement.

Wakefield addressed the matter recently in an interview with John Torres of Florida Today:

“I just saw that (Jorge) Posada retired, you know it’s something that my wife and I need to talk about,” the right-hander said this week. “I’d probably need to talk about it with my kids, too. Ultimately, I would like to obviously play for the Boston Red Sox for one more year and see where it goes.”

Wakefield posted a 5.12 ERA, 1.36 WHIP and 93/47 K/BB ratio in 154 2/3 innings last season. He has drawn interest from other teams, but it doesn’t sound like he wants to continue his playing career in a new setting.

1. kjt929 - Jan 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Then do it Tim

2. Jack Marshall - Jan 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I don’t see why the Sox wouldn’t invite him to Spring Training. He wasn’t consistent with the knuckler last year, but he still threw some great ones. It’s not beyond the pale of possibility that he could still play a role. But if they don’t, or they do and he doesn’t make the cut, it’s time to go. Great career, Tim…don’t sweat the all-time Sox win record. Everybody still respects you more than the Rocket.

3. maritime85 - Jan 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM

mets will take him, they need a closer

4. deathmonkey41 - Jan 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM

He can always get a job mowing Aaron Boone’s lawn.

• 18thstreet - Jan 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I know Aaron Boone will never forget winning the 2003 World Series. What a memory for him. /sarcasm

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jan 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Oh, I get it. Thanks for telling me that you were being sarcastic. (that’s me being sarcastic)

• 18thstreet - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I don’t know if you’ve noticed how things work around here, but if I hadn’t added the tag, there would be 5 people telling me that the Yankees lost the 2003 World Series.

Man, that’s fun to type.

5. Kyle - Jan 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I should hope so.

6. cur68 - Jan 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Someone quoted Dylan Thomas a while back in regards to Jamie “Iron Man” Moyer. I’d like to extend the same quote to Wakefield:

“Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

Good luck making the Sox this season, Wake. If you do, great. If not, go down fighting. No matter how it comes out, I’ll root for you.

• jdillydawg - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Dylan Thomas? I thought that Jeff Daniels said that in Independence Day?!

7. tn16 - Jan 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

He’s one of those guys who could play till there 50

• marshmallowsnake - Jan 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Their

• marshmallowsnake - Jan 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM

There

• marshmallowsnake - Jan 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Or they’re… Which is correct?

• paperlions - Jan 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM

they are = they’re

• bosoxfan1950 - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Johnny not only can’t read, he can’t spell either!

• royhobbs39 - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

“Boy, are there any proof readers anywhere? The proper spelling here is neither “there” which means “in that place,”nor “their” which means belonging to them. Its “they’re,” which is the contraction for “they are.”
        Johnny not only can’t read, he can’t spell either!”

Actually it should be “It’s they’re” “It’s” is a contraction for “It is”. I think correcting someone should be done correctly.

• jdillydawg - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Actually, “there 50″ is a very old phrase dating back to the 1830’s meaning “really old.”

All these MC Grammars out there playing backseat comma-back. Doesn’t anyone read history anymore?

8. FU MAN JOE - Jan 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I hope we get to see Wake one more year in Boston. It would be a shame if he didn’t play this year. He has always been a class act.

9. pisano - Jan 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM

“I hope we get to see Wake one more year in Boston” so will the rest of the AL.

10. smokehouse56 - Jan 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Who in their right mind wants a pitcher with a 5.12 ERA? He would just take a spot for someone much younger and probably just a good.

11. j0esixpack - Jan 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Wakefield has been a huge asset to the Sox well beyond ERA stats… He chews up innings and when the conditions are right he can still be tough to hit.

Maybe he should take his time in spring training and join up with the team in the warmer weather when the knuckler is more effective.

12. gmboy95 - Jan 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

its time for tim to move on after a great career as a red sox!!!

13. hushbrother - Jan 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I’m a big Wakefield fan, but I think it’s time for him to hang em up. He did stink pretty bad last year (-1.2 WAR, same as Lackey.) If he’s pitching a significant number of innings it probably means the Sox are in trouble again. He’d just be wasting a roster spot.

14. micker716 - Jan 29, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Tim, you, your wife and your kids should have had this talk a long time ago.

15. bosoxfan1950 - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for Tim Wakefield. His gutty performances will be missed. His attitude and demeanor will be missed. But it is time for him to hang them up and BE missed. Good luck and God bless, Wakes. Thanks for all you have done. And as one other posted wrote, don’t fret about having more Red Sox wins than Clemens. Nobody likes him and everyone loves you.

16. cshearing - Jan 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

The guy is just so versatile. Bring him back simply for spot emergency starts and long relief in blow-outs. Seems even that role would have value, saving the arms of your good bullpen pitchers at these times.

17. uyf1950 - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Wakefield, the parties over for you. You’ve had very nice career (much longer than most) it’s time to hang it up and enjoy life after baseball. Why risk embarrassing yourself anymore.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB