Zack Greinke still agentless, yet open to extension

Jan 29, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT

Zack Greinke AP

Zack Greinke, who left CAA Sports last year and is currently without an agent, said he is open to doing a new deal with the Brewers this winter.

“I’ll talk to them about it,” he told MLB.com. “I don’t really want to talk to anyone else about it. But I like the business of baseball. It’s exciting for me. It’s not like I plan on being my agent, but it is exciting being able to know what’s going on behind the scenes.”

Greinke will be eligible for free agency for the first time next winter after finishing the four-year, $38 million contract he originally signed with the Royals. He’ll make $13.5 million in 2012. Barring an extension, he’s set to join Cole Hamels and Matt Cain in what looks like a pretty strong class of free agent pitchers. Still, like Jered Weaver before him, he may choose to take a bit less to stay where he is.

“Everything feels really good at the stadium and stuff, the team is great, and I love the whole coaching staff and front office, too,” Greinke said. “The owner [Mark Attanasio] is probably the best owner in baseball, maybe. He’s incredible.”

1. dondada10 - Jan 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

What would a “team friendly” deal look like? 5 years, 90 million?

• Matthew Pouliot - Jan 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM

$18 million per year sounds about right. Weaver took $85 million for five years, giving up four years of free agency. If Greinke was content to match that, it’d be a four-year, $71.5 million extension.

• cnbweb - Jan 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Are you seriously comparing Greinke to Weaver? Weaver is one of the top 5 pitchers in all of baseball. Where do you think Greinke is? Last time I checked, his ERA was over 4.00 last year. Not exactly Weaver-ish.

• dondada10 - Jan 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

And in fairness, he Weaver would’ve been paid like a top 5 pitcher if he had not signed his “extremely team friendly” deal. Ergo, his contract should be the model of a pitcher given his team a break. With inflation, add 5 mil to it.

• Kyle - Jan 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM

ERA. That’s cute.

2. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jan 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

1) find out how much pitchers that you consider to be your peers are making
    2) Ask for that amount, they will lowball you, meet in the middle.

What so hard about that
    Now I’m done, rack me.

3. kjt929 - Jan 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Get a agent zack

• jjschiller - Jan 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Get an ‘n.’

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I prefer ‘m&m’s myself…

4. beltmerica - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

The Crew could use a feel “better” story

5. ihaveaconcussion - Jan 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Is he gonna try and represent himself to save on agent commission fees? As a brewer fan I’d wait and see before giving him a deal, he was really inconsistent last year

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3220)