Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Former MVP, Cy Young Award recipient and 31-game winner Denny McLain is a convicted felon and an all-around scumbag. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be a funny guy.
McLain was invited to speak at Madonna University in suburban Detroit over the weekend and the subject of the Prince Fielder signing came up. McLain took issue with Brandon Inge‘s unhappiness at — gasp! — losing the starting third base job to Miguel Cabrera. From the Detroit News:
Denny McLain held up an autographed photo of Brandon Inge and showed it to his audience. ”This was Brandon Inge’s last photo before he began whining about his playing time,” McLain announced … McLain held the Inge photo up and tossed it to the floor. ”It’s the first time he’s hit something in two years,” McLain said, to more laughter.
OK, that was kind of mean. But it was also kind of funny. Don’t tell me it wasn’t.
That said, I’d rather be Brandon Inge on the worst day of his life than Denny freakin’ McLain. Because, let’s face it: it’s way better to be not-so-good at playing baseball than it is to, say, steal millions from pension funds and stuff.
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 6
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 50
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 86
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (88)