Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Former MVP, Cy Young Award recipient and 31-game winner Denny McLain is a convicted felon and an all-around scumbag. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be a funny guy.
McLain was invited to speak at Madonna University in suburban Detroit over the weekend and the subject of the Prince Fielder signing came up. McLain took issue with Brandon Inge‘s unhappiness at — gasp! — losing the starting third base job to Miguel Cabrera. From the Detroit News:
Denny McLain held up an autographed photo of Brandon Inge and showed it to his audience. “This was Brandon Inge’s last photo before he began whining about his playing time,” McLain announced … McLain held the Inge photo up and tossed it to the floor. “It’s the first time he’s hit something in two years,” McLain said, to more laughter.
OK, that was kind of mean. But it was also kind of funny. Don’t tell me it wasn’t.
That said, I’d rather be Brandon Inge on the worst day of his life than Denny freakin’ McLain. Because, let’s face it: it’s way better to be not-so-good at playing baseball than it is to, say, steal millions from pension funds and stuff.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)