Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Former MVP, Cy Young Award recipient and 31-game winner Denny McLain is a convicted felon and an all-around scumbag. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be a funny guy.
McLain was invited to speak at Madonna University in suburban Detroit over the weekend and the subject of the Prince Fielder signing came up. McLain took issue with Brandon Inge‘s unhappiness at — gasp! — losing the starting third base job to Miguel Cabrera. From the Detroit News:
Denny McLain held up an autographed photo of Brandon Inge and showed it to his audience. ”This was Brandon Inge’s last photo before he began whining about his playing time,” McLain announced … McLain held the Inge photo up and tossed it to the floor. ”It’s the first time he’s hit something in two years,” McLain said, to more laughter.
OK, that was kind of mean. But it was also kind of funny. Don’t tell me it wasn’t.
That said, I’d rather be Brandon Inge on the worst day of his life than Denny freakin’ McLain. Because, let’s face it: it’s way better to be not-so-good at playing baseball than it is to, say, steal millions from pension funds and stuff.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)