Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Former MVP, Cy Young Award recipient and 31-game winner Denny McLain is a convicted felon and an all-around scumbag. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be a funny guy.
McLain was invited to speak at Madonna University in suburban Detroit over the weekend and the subject of the Prince Fielder signing came up. McLain took issue with Brandon Inge‘s unhappiness at — gasp! — losing the starting third base job to Miguel Cabrera. From the Detroit News:
Denny McLain held up an autographed photo of Brandon Inge and showed it to his audience. “This was Brandon Inge’s last photo before he began whining about his playing time,” McLain announced … McLain held the Inge photo up and tossed it to the floor. “It’s the first time he’s hit something in two years,” McLain said, to more laughter.
OK, that was kind of mean. But it was also kind of funny. Don’t tell me it wasn’t.
That said, I’d rather be Brandon Inge on the worst day of his life than Denny freakin’ McLain. Because, let’s face it: it’s way better to be not-so-good at playing baseball than it is to, say, steal millions from pension funds and stuff.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)