Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Former MVP, Cy Young Award recipient and 31-game winner Denny McLain is a convicted felon and an all-around scumbag. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be a funny guy.
McLain was invited to speak at Madonna University in suburban Detroit over the weekend and the subject of the Prince Fielder signing came up. McLain took issue with Brandon Inge‘s unhappiness at — gasp! — losing the starting third base job to Miguel Cabrera. From the Detroit News:
Denny McLain held up an autographed photo of Brandon Inge and showed it to his audience. “This was Brandon Inge’s last photo before he began whining about his playing time,” McLain announced … McLain held the Inge photo up and tossed it to the floor. “It’s the first time he’s hit something in two years,” McLain said, to more laughter.
OK, that was kind of mean. But it was also kind of funny. Don’t tell me it wasn’t.
That said, I’d rather be Brandon Inge on the worst day of his life than Denny freakin’ McLain. Because, let’s face it: it’s way better to be not-so-good at playing baseball than it is to, say, steal millions from pension funds and stuff.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (171)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)