Jan 30, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Dmitri Young’s comeback hasn’t found a home yet, but Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the 38-year-old recently worked out for the Phillies.
Young hasn’t played in the majors since 2008, so it’s a long shot, but hitting was never the reason for his demise and he’s dropped 75 pounds.
According to Bowden the Phillies were impressed by Young’s workout, but there’s no word yet if they’re interested in actually signing him to what would presumably be a minor-league contract.
In the meantime he’ll continue to eat one piece of pecan pie and “call it a day.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32