Dmitri Young worked out for the Phillies

Jan 30, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT

Dmitri Young AP

Dmitri Young’s comeback hasn’t found a home yet, but Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the 38-year-old recently worked out for the Phillies.

Young hasn’t played in the majors since 2008, so it’s a long shot, but hitting was never the reason for his demise and he’s dropped 75 pounds.

According to Bowden the Phillies were impressed by Young’s workout, but there’s no word yet if they’re interested in actually signing him to what would presumably be a minor-league contract.

In the meantime he’ll continue to eat one piece of pecan pie and “call it a day.”

1. SmackSaw - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I thought that was a recent picture of Ryan Howard on first glance.

• nategearhart - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

BOOM.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Great game. Let’s eat…like a viking.

2. natsattack - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Dimitri, you were great to watch in 2008, good luck on your comeback.

3. cur68 - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM

“Eating like a Viking” has now become intrenched in my vocabulary. A big thank you to Meat Hook: I wish him Good Luck with the Phillys. They’d be fools not to sign his scrawny ass (yeah, that was meant as a compliment).

• rambodiaz - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM

This is not snark.

I’d be happier with Pittsburgh trotting him out for a tryout at 1B than I am with them being content with Garrett Jones and Casey McGehee. At least it would be entertaining.

Pittsburgh’s even ignoring the NRI’s this offseason. OhMyGoshAmIFrustrated….

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Shit, Rambo, I’m sorry. Really, I was hoping to see the Pirates make some moves. Meat Hook would be great for them. He’s got drive, commitment to cause, work ethic and he can lay off pecan pie. What team couldn’t use someone like that? Hey, who knows, the Phillys might well pass on Meat Hook, thus opening the door for the Pirates. Here’s hoping.

• bigharold - Jan 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I’ve been eating like a Viking for decades but wasn’t aware of it. After reading recently about Young I realized the errors of my ways and now I’m well on the way of being in the BSOML.

Hey I might have to change my nom de plume to Not so Big Harold.

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Stay away from pie in all forms, Harold. That shit’ll kill ya…

4. missthemexpos - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I can only surmise that there has been too many stories lately on players being in the BSOTL, to fail to mention it in Dimitri’s case. However 75 pounds taken off, can not be taken lightly.

5. Gonzo - Jan 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Lambchop!

• bigharold - Jan 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Pork chop more likely.

6. spudchukar - Jan 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Juan Pierre in left and Dmitry Young in right. Move Pence to center and trade Victorino for a third baseman, perhaps Mark Reynolds.

• spudchukar - Jan 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Sorry Hook, should read Dmitri.

• professor59 - Jan 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

And Mark Reynolds should be spelled David Wright.

7. kalinedrive - Jan 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

How can he hit with that tiny little pointed bat?

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM

He wasn’t hitting: that’s his kebab stick.

8. mojosmagic - Jan 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Detroit fans when you look at that picture do you see a Prince ?

9. areyesrn - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Phillies are getting older by the second…maybe they should trade for Moyer…

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3396)