Jan 30, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
The Athletics had their FanFest over the weekend. As we mentioned the other day, owner Lew Wolff met fans and heard complaints. Said complaints were lodged in one-on-one sessions with said fans, so we didn’t get to hear them, but based on the article at MLB.com about it, it sounds like Wolff met with some displeasure but nothing notable. Not terribly surprising. I suppose that if you’re THAT angry at the A’s you’re not gonna bother showing up to FanFest to begin with.
Also of note: Wolff thinks the A’s target date for opening in a new ballpark is 2016. He’s also pretty open to Manny Ramirez joining the team.
The quote of the day, however, didn’t come from Wolff. It came from the Athletics’ number one starter Brandon McCarthy:
“I know there are a lot of people who have had questions about the moves that have been made, but I do like the front office stepping up, answering questions and showing that there is a path that we’re taking and there’s reasons for all of this. It’s not just drunk monkeys throwing at a dartboard. People have a plan, and they’re trying to do something.”
I was a big fan of “Moneyball,” both the book/movie and the concept. But I think I’d be even more excited if the new inefficiency in building a ballclub was drunk monkeys throwing things. And the best part: I bet that stuff would actually work in the playoffs.
NOTE: In the off chance that my undergraduate primatology Professor Lori Sheerhan is reading this, yes, I am quite aware that the picture accompanying this article is a drunk ape, not a drunk monkey. Also know that, over the past 20 years, I have had far more occasion to use all of the anthropology stuff you taught me when picking up my minor than I have any of the political science stuff I learned in my major, so thanks.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 61
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)