Jan 30, 2012, 5:43 PM EST
Mark Cuban’s name is always mentioned when a baseball team is up for sale. Yet he never seals the deal. It just happened with the Dodgers too. His explanation:
“The economics got so out of control because the Dodgers’ TV deal’s up for bid and so there’s a lot of groups coming in going, ‘This TV deal’s worth so much money that we’re gonna pay whatever it takes to get the Dodgers.’ And so they’re buying the TV rights deal first and the team second,” Mark said.
So what? All of these groups are helmed by billionaire investor types who know a thing or two about money. There’s, like, a dozen of them. Are they all irrational? Are they all irrational in thinking, contrary to Cuban’s implication here, that a bid on the Dodgers + the TV rights would make money?
I’m all for occupying whatever and sticking it to those billionaires, but when a bunch of them all think something is a good investment, they’re probably right. The fact a highly-lucrative TV rights sale is in the offing, if anything, seems like a lure to buying the team, not a deterrent as Cuban suggests.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (201)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)