Mark Cuban explains why he didn’t get the Dodgers. And it doesn’t make much sense.

Jan 30, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT

Mark Cuban horizontal

Mark Cuban’s name is always mentioned when a baseball team is up for sale. Yet he never seals the deal.  It just happened with the Dodgers too.  His explanation:

“The economics got so out of control because the Dodgers’ TV deal’s up for bid and so there’s a lot of groups coming in going, ‘This TV deal’s worth so much money that we’re gonna pay whatever it takes to get the Dodgers.’ And so they’re buying the TV rights deal first and the team second,” Mark said.

So what?  All of these groups are helmed by billionaire investor types who know a thing or two about money. There’s, like, a dozen of them.  Are they all irrational? Are they all irrational in thinking, contrary to Cuban’s implication here, that a bid on the Dodgers + the TV rights would make money?

I’m all for occupying whatever and sticking it to those billionaires, but when a bunch of them all think something is a good investment, they’re probably right.  The fact a highly-lucrative TV rights sale is in the offing, if anything, seems like a lure to buying the team, not a deterrent as Cuban suggests.

1. cur68 - Jan 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Huh. Maybe Mr. Cuban’s point is that in order to turn a team around and make a viable, winning enterprise out of it you have to buy the team first and all media considerations are secondary…which is still a ridiculous argument because they’re a package deal: any assessment of the team’s worth includes the broadcast rights as part of that worth…so, from a realistic worth of the team standpoint, I dunno WTF point he was trying to make either…

2. l0yalr0yal - Jan 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I have been trying to read this article, but I keep staring at the ridiculous amount of hair on his arms.

• bearsace - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM

For a split second, I thought those were tattoo’s.

• bobthis - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I sent him a weed wacker but I guess he never used it.

3. dlevalley - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I think it’s just Cuban’s way of saying… “I was in, until the price got over $1 billion.”

4. yahmule - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Or he’s a childish egomaniac who loves attention so he does nothing to dissuade reporters when they inevitably (and quite lazily) connect him to every baseball team that goes on the market.

5. thinman61 - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I wonder if Cuban is simply following the dictum of former Massachusetts governor Bill Weld: “If you can say it with a straight face, they have to report it?”

6. hackerjay - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I think that was just his way of saying that the price of the Dodgers was more then he could comfortably afford.
    If it takes 90% of your money to buy something it’s probably not a great idea to buy it, even if it’s a good bet to appreciate.

7. hackerjay - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

If it takes 90% of your money to buy something it’s probably not a great idea to buy it, even if it’s a good bet to appreciate in value.

• hackerjay - Jan 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Bah…double post. I wish we could edit/delete our own posts.

8. beavertonsteve - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Step 1: buy Dodgers
    Step 2: Sell TV rights to ????
    Step 3: profit!

9. genericcommenter - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM

If all the billionaire owners of baseball teams really knew a lot about money, there wouldn’t be so many of them on welfare.

Though, on second thought, maybe that proves they know about money. I just never factor rent-seeking into my business decisions. Maybe I should start.

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM

They’re not on welfare because, whatever else they know about money, they know it doesn’t take all that much of it, proportionately speaking, to buy a politician.

10. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Smart doesn’t always translate to correct. Value is a derivative of the price paid. It appears many well-heeled buyers, in partnership with others, which erodes the price discipline. Add the tendency to hubris and over paying is a certainty.

My level of respect for Cuban just went up many notches.

11. bleed4philly - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM

He will get a team eventually. Keep an eye on the Mets.

• andrebeingandre16 - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

It sounds like Cuban doesnt want to come close to a billion dollars on a team.

12. heyzeus143 - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM

be a homer, and buy the buccos

13. spudatx - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Cuban does own a pro sports team AND a television network already, so I’ll guess his value assessment is more sound than most on this deal…

• jwbiii - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Yeah, but broadcasting Drinking Made Easy, Girls Gone Wild’s Search for the Hottest Girl in America, and Bikini Destinations to a small percentage of U.S. households isn’t quite the same as saturating a major media market.

• cshearing - Jan 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

God, I miss that channel.

14. pike573 - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I read it as saying… If you want to own a baseball team be in it for the baseball.

15. bigzant82 - Jan 31, 2012 at 7:42 AM

tell him buy the mets it will only cost him $400 million

16. bottlemerchant - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM

He looks like Robert Smith from The Cure, sans makeup and crazy ass hair.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto