Jan 30, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
Mark Cuban’s name is always mentioned when a baseball team is up for sale. Yet he never seals the deal. It just happened with the Dodgers too. His explanation:
“The economics got so out of control because the Dodgers’ TV deal’s up for bid and so there’s a lot of groups coming in going, ‘This TV deal’s worth so much money that we’re gonna pay whatever it takes to get the Dodgers.’ And so they’re buying the TV rights deal first and the team second,” Mark said.
So what? All of these groups are helmed by billionaire investor types who know a thing or two about money. There’s, like, a dozen of them. Are they all irrational? Are they all irrational in thinking, contrary to Cuban’s implication here, that a bid on the Dodgers + the TV rights would make money?
I’m all for occupying whatever and sticking it to those billionaires, but when a bunch of them all think something is a good investment, they’re probably right. The fact a highly-lucrative TV rights sale is in the offing, if anything, seems like a lure to buying the team, not a deterrent as Cuban suggests.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)