Miguel Olivo is in the Best Shape of His Life

Jan 30, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Miguel Olivo Getty Images

I know some of you don’t like these posts, but if it helps, I don’t do this because I enjoy it. I do it because I feel I am providing an invaluable service.  In other words, I may not be the lazy meme-perpetuator that Gotham wants, but I am the lazy meme-perpetuator that Gotham needs.

Anyway, from Greg Johns of MLB.com, in the course of an article about how Jesus Montero will fit with the Mariners:

And the durable [Miguel] Olivo, who says he’s in the best shape of his life after an offseason of working out at his home in Modesto, Calif., doesn’t have an issue with helping a young prodigy learn that craft.

So there’s that.

Proposal: let’s get deeper into the BSOHL thing. I’m thinking an investigative angle, where the reporter pulls the ballplayer’s high school records to see if it’s really possible that a 33 year-old man with lots of miles behind the plate is truly in better shape than when he was a strapping young lad of 17.

1. illcomm - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Well said Craig. Well said.

2. illcomm - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The BSOTL would have a better ring to it if you also had the Worst Shape of Their Life.

3. Old Gator - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

That’s a big assumption these days – that Miguel Olivo was actually 17 16 years ago.

4. nategearhart - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Craig, taking all the hyperbole out of baseball would be the hardest thing ever.

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Yes but worth it, given the going price of hyperbole on the black market in an election year….

• nategearhart - Jan 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

That’s the most apt thing anyone has ever said, ever.

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

At least once a week someone comes on to declare one of my comments the best thing, greatest thing, funniest thing, most perceptive thing, most wonderful thing
        and, now, most apt thing ever posted here.

Fortunately, I have learned to wear my accolades lightly.

• nategearhart - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I was just making a hyperbole joke…

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Oh. I thought you were just exaggerating.

5. diehardcubbiefan4life - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Let the BSOHL tradition continue.

6. bennoj - Jan 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I have a feeling that the players have caught on to the BSOL thing and it has become the new ‘answer a question without saying anything’ response to dumb off-season questions.

7. Jeff J. Snider - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I’m in roughly the same shape I was in when I was 17, except for one thing: your muscles aren’t done developing by the time you’re 17, so all things being equal, a 33-year-old (if he’s in roughly the same physical condition as he was at 17) will be in better shape than his 17-year-old self just because he will have more natural strength.

Of course, whether that natural strength and muscle mass is a good thing depends on whether you’re a Miguel Olivo type or, say, a Dee Gordon type.

8. jdillydawg - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I don’t know, he hit two home runs off me tonight playing XBox. Dude can still swing a bat.

Oh wait…

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3028)