Jan 30, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Baltimore added some depth for spring training, signing right-hander Pat Neshek and catcher Ronny Paulino to minor-league deals with camp invites.
Neshek was an excellent setup man for the Twins in 2006 and 2007, but underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in mid-2008 and hasn’t been the same since. He threw 25 innings for the Padres last season and had a decent-looking 4.01 ERA, but that came with more walks (22) than strikeouts (20) and the side-armer struggled to crack 90 miles per hour. He does, however, remain an elite tweeter.
Paulino was non-tendered by the Mets after hitting just .268 with a .312 on-base percentage and .351 slugging percentage in 248 plate appearances last season and seems unlikely to unseat Taylor Teagarden as starting catcher Matt Wieters‘ backup. He’s cracked a .700 OPS just once in the past four seasons.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (87)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)