The Astros aren’t changing their name

Jan 30, 2012, 9:00 PM EST

200px-Houston_Astros_Logo

Remember how new Astros’ owner Jim Crane created a mini-controversy last week when he said he planned to conduct a study on whether to change the team’s name?  Well, the results are in. The Astros aren’t going anywhere…except the American League West, that is.

According to Astros’ Sr. Director of Social Media Alyson Footer, Crane said the following in a taped video message to season-ticket holders:

“You asked for change and we added several fan friendly initiatives last week and we hope you like them,” Crane said. “We will continue to listen, and to look for additional ways to improve on and off the field.

“One thing that we are not going to change is the name. We received strong feedback and consensus among season ticket holders and many fans, and we will not change the name Astros. The Houston Astros are here to stay.”

This whole thing probably got more attention that it really deserved, as a name change never appeared to be a serious consideration in the first place, but it’s easy for things to take on a life of their own during the cold and boring days of winter. Still, I doubt many would complain if they made some changes to their uniforms.

1. dwishinsky - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

“Still, I doubt many would complain if they made WHOLESALE changes to their uniforms.”

I liked that weird (and very mid-90s) mid-90s look. Gold star. Sort of “futuristic styled” writing.

2. eknirb - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Tequila Sunrise.

3. Gonzo - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Mind if I go a bit off topic?

My top 5 uniforms in baseball:

1. Detroit – Home
    2. San Fran – Road
    3. San Fran – Home
    4. Boston – Home
    5. Phillies – Road

(Not a huge fan of pinstripes)

4. alonestartexan - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I would like an all white home uniform and an all grey road uniform.

A lighter blue hat, possibly as dark as Navy, with an orange star and a block letter H.

As far as the jersey’s and stuff go, Maybe something similar to these…

(I didn’t make them)

5. alonestartexan - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

But not with the number where it is on the 2nd one…

6. jrod2go - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I’ll give Drake some credit for taking some initiative here. It can be appreciated that they actually looked at ways to improve to capture more fans in lieu of their move to the AL. Personally, I think Drake is onto something…he should consult some other teams on potential name changes. Here’s my list with first being worst:

1. Nationals (I’m patriotic but c’mon…that’s just a dumb effin name)
    2. Rays (Devil Rays was bad, Rays is just stupid. Gzus, just be the Bucs or something)

Not MLB:
    – Thunder (great team, dumb a$$ name. If NJ is the Nets, OK should be the Balls. The OK City “Balls”)
    – Grizzlies (Memphis BBQ’s would’ve been a better name)

Did Not Make the List:
    Any hockey team. They get a bye for their Canadian affiliation ;-)

7. Old Gator - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:58 AM

I would like the Feesh uniform to resemble wetsuits – with cleated scuba flippers.

8. crankyfrankie - Jan 31, 2012 at 6:15 AM

First step
    Orange hat!

9. stex52 - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Good. Now the Astros had better get down to more serious business. Sugarland (about 20 miles southwest) is getting an Atlantic League franchise this year. Right now, sitting in the new stadium there in $8.00 seats is looking awfully competitive with the quality product the Astros will be putting on the field.

With Rice University rated in the top 10 and the Sugarland franchise coming in, they may be fighting for my business this year. I may be an Astros fan, but mostly I’m a good baseball fan.

10. rogerbrad - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Man, I was hoping they would have a contest for the name change. I was going to submit ‘Jim’s Traitors’ or just the ‘Traitors.”

They stated as a NL team The Colt 45’s and then changed to the Astros with the addition of the Astrodome. They were also in the Central division but now going to the West division. I’ve followed them for 50+ years but no more. Goodbye Astros…

• alonestartexan - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Dude, I grew up in Florida and their were two reasons I became an Astros fan, 1. My father was a Reds/Bengals fan and HATED the Astros/Oilers, and I was a defiant kid, and 2. My childhood hero and reason why I was a catcher from age 4 through high school was Craig Biggio.

I live in Houston now with my wife and son and was able to go to my first Astros game in Houston and was so excited.. that is, until the last pitch was recorded. Less than 1 minute after the last pitch was recorded, the ushers bum rushed us out of the stands. There was a base running event for the kids after the game and we wanted to watch them run and collect the souvenir cups that people left behind.

The guy demanded that we leave or they would call security and throw us out. I complained but no one listened. I vowed to hate the Astros and never watch another one of their games again after they were rude and nasty to my family with my 10 year old son and 9 year old nephew with us.

You’re abandoning the Stros because they MIGHT have changed named and they’re headed to the American League, seriously ? The American League will be great for the Astros ! We now won’t have to have home games against the likes of the Pirates, Reds, and Brewers and we’ll be able to sell tickets against the California clubs and transplanted Rangers fans. Not to mention, I’d personally rather see teams like the A’s, Angels, and Rangers come to town than the Pirates, Reds, and Brewers. Plus, We’ll get yearly games against the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, and alot of the more popular American League teams. Tickets will sell, which means money will be made, which means better players will be bought!

Besides, with the daily interleague games and the expanded playoffs, it won’t be long until MLB’s divisions and leagues are just like the NFL and by all means, the NFL has a lot better product and is more popular in America right now, so it’s a good move.

11. rogerbrad - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I forgot to mention they they forsaking the NL and going to the AL. Geesh………

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester