Jan 30, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Remember how new Astros’ owner Jim Crane created a mini-controversy last week when he said he planned to conduct a study on whether to change the team’s name? Well, the results are in. The Astros aren’t going anywhere…except the American League West, that is.
According to Astros’ Sr. Director of Social Media Alyson Footer, Crane said the following in a taped video message to season-ticket holders:
“You asked for change and we added several fan friendly initiatives last week and we hope you like them,” Crane said. “We will continue to listen, and to look for additional ways to improve on and off the field.
“One thing that we are not going to change is the name. We received strong feedback and consensus among season ticket holders and many fans, and we will not change the name Astros. The Houston Astros are here to stay.”
This whole thing probably got more attention that it really deserved, as a name change never appeared to be a serious consideration in the first place, but it’s easy for things to take on a life of their own during the cold and boring days of winter. Still, I doubt many would complain if they made some changes to their uniforms.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)