Jan 30, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Remember how new Astros’ owner Jim Crane created a mini-controversy last week when he said he planned to conduct a study on whether to change the team’s name? Well, the results are in. The Astros aren’t going anywhere…except the American League West, that is.
According to Astros’ Sr. Director of Social Media Alyson Footer, Crane said the following in a taped video message to season-ticket holders:
“You asked for change and we added several fan friendly initiatives last week and we hope you like them,” Crane said. “We will continue to listen, and to look for additional ways to improve on and off the field.
“One thing that we are not going to change is the name. We received strong feedback and consensus among season ticket holders and many fans, and we will not change the name Astros. The Houston Astros are here to stay.”
This whole thing probably got more attention that it really deserved, as a name change never appeared to be a serious consideration in the first place, but it’s easy for things to take on a life of their own during the cold and boring days of winter. Still, I doubt many would complain if they made some changes to their uniforms.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)