Jan 30, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus has done the dirty work: he has sifted through the 2,400+ major league games of the 2011 season and has determined which of those games was the absolute worst.
Maybe the picture here spoils it, at least for Tigers and Giants fans who might remember it, but the real value of this article is (a) how he describes the game; and (b) the methodology he employed to identify it. Can’t agree more with Sam regarding what makes a bad game a bad game and what can redeem an otherwise bad game, saving it from consideration for the worst or the worst.
I’m just sort of bummed that the game took place on a Saturday. Kept me from saying something pithy about it in an “And That Happened” post. Because as you all know, ugly games are way more fun to riff on.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 41
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)