Jan 30, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Victor Martinez‘s season-ending knee injury was quickly overshadowed by the Prince Fielder signing, but in case you forgot: dude really bollocksed up his knee. On Friday he had the first off multiple surgeries: microfracture surgery, which always sounds all kinds of scary. He’ll have the reconstruction of his ACL done in approximately 6-8 weeks.
I’m not sure that the need for microfracture surgery was reported before this (I couldn’t find mention of it). Either way, the rehab time on all of that is extensive. It almost makes one wonder if the whole “where will Miguel Cabrera play when V-Mart comes back” talk from last week is moot.
I mean, one hopes for the best, but one also has to appreciate just how serious Martinez’s injury and surgery really were. Careers have been ended by less.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 12
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 20
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)