Victor Martinez had microfracture surgery

Jan 30, 2012, 2:15 PM EST

Victor Martinez Getty Images

Victor Martinez‘s season-ending knee injury was quickly overshadowed by the Prince Fielder signing, but in case you forgot: dude really bollocksed up his knee.  On Friday he had the first off multiple surgeries: microfracture surgery, which always sounds all kinds of scary.  He’ll have the reconstruction of his ACL done in approximately 6-8 weeks.

I’m not sure that the need for microfracture surgery was reported before this (I couldn’t find mention of it).  Either way, the rehab time on all of that is extensive. It almost makes one wonder if the whole “where will Miguel Cabrera play when V-Mart comes back” talk from last week is moot.

I mean, one hopes for the best, but one also has to appreciate just how serious Martinez’s injury and surgery really were.  Careers have been ended by less.

1. randygnyc - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Wow. I thought it was just his acl. Micro fracture surgery too? Can’t help but think this might be too much to overcome. Each sur gery will impede the others recovery.

2. cur68 - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM

He must have partially or completely ruptured the ACL from the end of the tibia with a chuck of bone coming up with it. An evulsion like that doesn’t necessarily require surgery, but where the ACL is damaged too, then you have to repair the bone fragment, wait for the swelling to go down & some healing take place, then reattach the ACL. Probably if you try and attach the ACL to the newly fastened bone chip, you’ll re-evluse the bone. Its gonna be a long road back for VMart.

3. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Thank you doctor.

4. silverdeer - Jan 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Now we know what Mr. Illitch pulled out the BIG checkbook. With an injury like that, VMART is going to be out a long while.

5. Old Gator - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

What the hell did he do to himself – was his knee in a plane crash or something?

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Actually, it’s kinda easy for an active person to do this. Did the same thing to myself. I was playing soccer with my dog. She got distracted and stuck her head down a gopher hole rather than return the ball. I decided to go get the ball and took the most direct route: running full speed, I jumped over the dog. Landed with my left foot in a gopher hole. This threw all my weight to the inside of my left (but luckily not hyper-extended) knee while trapping my foot. The impact caused an evulsion of the head of the tibia. Sounded like a gunshot. I was terribly lucky not to tear the ACL itself (I imagine the inside of my knee looked like a yo-yo: the chunk of bone dangling from my intact ACL). Spent over a month in a zimmer splint and another 2 months in a leg brace. There was an option to surgically repair the mess I’d made, but since I hadn’t actually shredded my ACL, the conservative route was selected.

VMart seems to have shredded his ACL as well as damaged the bone. I bet he was doing something like running and jumping when he did this or he was hit hard from the side, loading the inside of the joint while twisting and hyper-extending the knee. A graphic example of this sort of injury is The Arizona Cardinal’s Bill Gramatica’s celebratory jump and awkward landing after a field goal in 2001:

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6193)