Jan 30, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Victor Martinez‘s season-ending knee injury was quickly overshadowed by the Prince Fielder signing, but in case you forgot: dude really bollocksed up his knee. On Friday he had the first off multiple surgeries: microfracture surgery, which always sounds all kinds of scary. He’ll have the reconstruction of his ACL done in approximately 6-8 weeks.
I’m not sure that the need for microfracture surgery was reported before this (I couldn’t find mention of it). Either way, the rehab time on all of that is extensive. It almost makes one wonder if the whole “where will Miguel Cabrera play when V-Mart comes back” talk from last week is moot.
I mean, one hopes for the best, but one also has to appreciate just how serious Martinez’s injury and surgery really were. Careers have been ended by less.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte