Jan 30, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Victor Martinez‘s season-ending knee injury was quickly overshadowed by the Prince Fielder signing, but in case you forgot: dude really bollocksed up his knee. On Friday he had the first off multiple surgeries: microfracture surgery, which always sounds all kinds of scary. He’ll have the reconstruction of his ACL done in approximately 6-8 weeks.
I’m not sure that the need for microfracture surgery was reported before this (I couldn’t find mention of it). Either way, the rehab time on all of that is extensive. It almost makes one wonder if the whole “where will Miguel Cabrera play when V-Mart comes back” talk from last week is moot.
I mean, one hopes for the best, but one also has to appreciate just how serious Martinez’s injury and surgery really were. Careers have been ended by less.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)