Jan 30, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Victor Martinez‘s season-ending knee injury was quickly overshadowed by the Prince Fielder signing, but in case you forgot: dude really bollocksed up his knee. On Friday he had the first off multiple surgeries: microfracture surgery, which always sounds all kinds of scary. He’ll have the reconstruction of his ACL done in approximately 6-8 weeks.
I’m not sure that the need for microfracture surgery was reported before this (I couldn’t find mention of it). Either way, the rehab time on all of that is extensive. It almost makes one wonder if the whole “where will Miguel Cabrera play when V-Mart comes back” talk from last week is moot.
I mean, one hopes for the best, but one also has to appreciate just how serious Martinez’s injury and surgery really were. Careers have been ended by less.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)