Jan 30, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Victor Martinez‘s season-ending knee injury was quickly overshadowed by the Prince Fielder signing, but in case you forgot: dude really bollocksed up his knee. On Friday he had the first off multiple surgeries: microfracture surgery, which always sounds all kinds of scary. He’ll have the reconstruction of his ACL done in approximately 6-8 weeks.
I’m not sure that the need for microfracture surgery was reported before this (I couldn’t find mention of it). Either way, the rehab time on all of that is extensive. It almost makes one wonder if the whole “where will Miguel Cabrera play when V-Mart comes back” talk from last week is moot.
I mean, one hopes for the best, but one also has to appreciate just how serious Martinez’s injury and surgery really were. Careers have been ended by less.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 65
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15