Jan 30, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Katz said the market for the 26-year-old has been “meaningful and aggressive” and that he expects his client will be in spring training with an MLB club.
“We are aware of the (spring-training) dates. We expect him to be in camp with one of the clubs.”
With that in mind, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that Cespedes is expected to travel to the United States within the next 7-10 days to meet face-to-face with interested teams.
Bowden also hears that six teams have been the “most serious” in negotiations for Cespedes thus far, including the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers and a sixth unidentified team. No word on who the sixth team could be, but Cespedes has previously mentioned the Indians as a potential landing spot.
Cespedes recently went 5-for-35 (.143) with one home run and a 10/0 K/BB ratio during a brief stint with Aguilas Cibaenas in the Dominican Winter League playoffs. He’s expected to land a contract north of the $30.5 million deal that Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman got from the Reds in January of 2010.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)