Jan 30, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Katz said the market for the 26-year-old has been “meaningful and aggressive” and that he expects his client will be in spring training with an MLB club.
”We are aware of the (spring-training) dates. We expect him to be in camp with one of the clubs.”
With that in mind, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that Cespedes is expected to travel to the United States within the next 7-10 days to meet face-to-face with interested teams.
Bowden also hears that six teams have been the “most serious” in negotiations for Cespedes thus far, including the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers and a sixth unidentified team. No word on who the sixth team could be, but Cespedes has previously mentioned the Indians as a potential landing spot.
Cespedes recently went 5-for-35 (.143) with one home run and a 10/0 K/BB ratio during a brief stint with Aguilas Cibaenas in the Dominican Winter League playoffs. He’s expected to land a contract north of the $30.5 million deal that Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman got from the Reds in January of 2010.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17