Jan 30, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Katz said the market for the 26-year-old has been “meaningful and aggressive” and that he expects his client will be in spring training with an MLB club.
“We are aware of the (spring-training) dates. We expect him to be in camp with one of the clubs.”
With that in mind, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that Cespedes is expected to travel to the United States within the next 7-10 days to meet face-to-face with interested teams.
Bowden also hears that six teams have been the “most serious” in negotiations for Cespedes thus far, including the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers and a sixth unidentified team. No word on who the sixth team could be, but Cespedes has previously mentioned the Indians as a potential landing spot.
Cespedes recently went 5-for-35 (.143) with one home run and a 10/0 K/BB ratio during a brief stint with Aguilas Cibaenas in the Dominican Winter League playoffs. He’s expected to land a contract north of the $30.5 million deal that Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman got from the Reds in January of 2010.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)