Jan 31, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Roberts requested $2.275 million and Arizona countered at $1.65 million, so they settled slightly above the midpoint.
Roberts didn’t get an extended opportunity in the majors until age 28, when the Diamondbacks signed him after he was let go by both the Blue Jays and Rangers, so that represents a pretty nice payday in his first year of arbitration eligibility.
He’s hit .256 with a .342 on-base percentage and .427 slugging percentage in 289 games for Arizona and will be the Opening Day third baseman after Melvin Mora got that nod last year.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)