Jan 31, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com the Tigers’ insurance policy on Martinez’s four-year, $50 million contract is “expected to cover about half of the $13 million he has coming this year.”
That’s a nice chunk of change, obviously, but that still leaves the Tigers paying $6-7 million for Martinez to do nothing this season and the $6-7 million they’ll get from the insurance company barely makes a dent in the $23 million Prince Fielder will get in 2012 to basically replace him in the lineup.
And then Martinez is owed $13 million in 2013 and $12 million in 2014, while Fielder will get $23 million in 2013 and $24 million in 2014 (plus $24 million each year from 2015-2020).
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (118)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)