Jose Bautista doesn’t mind all the extra drug tests

Jan 31, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT

Jose Bautista AP

Last week Jose Bautista noted at a banquet that he has been given a ton more drug tests since he became a super duper power hitter.  He said yesterday, however, that he doesn’t want to be taken as complaining about it.  Quite the contrary:

“It has increased in the last two years compared to before but I’m not complaining whatsoever. It’s a question that I was asked so I gave an honest answer. It’s not in my interest to make it seem like I’m getting picked on … I don’t mind it; it’s something that is not going to affect my focus and I’m not going to allow it to affect how I play my game … They are entitled to do whatever they want and test you as many times as they want. If I get picked to be tested a million times, that’s fine with me.”

That sort of stance basically ensured that Frank Thomas will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I wonder if it will do enough to get people to stop writing articles questioning the legitimacy of Bautista’s accomplishments if he, once again, hits a boatload of homers.

1. dcfan4life - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM

He is being tested not because he is a big power hitter, but because he became a big power hitter seemingly overnight. His constant drug testing is an obvious sign that baseball recognized such things and goes to great lengths to make sure these players are clean. Just keep passing them and not complaining and all true fans will except you for what you are, a great power hitter.

• BratLee - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Gee, I would rather have the fans accept him rather than except him.
      (Undersheriff, Grammar Police)

2. stex52 - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I’m glad Jose doesn’t mind. I work in the chemical industry and carry a TWIC card, so I am subject to random testing. I hate it every time they call me. I don’t take illegal drugs. I just have a strong interest in personal privacy.

But, like Jose, I recognize it as the price of having a good job. Of course, his pays a little better.

3. Matt Adams - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Do we know what the process for these tests are? Just urine? I don’t see how the periodic exchange of urine for the right to continue to make millions of dollars is really such an invasion of privacy. Bravo to Bautista for accepting and going on about his business.

• stex52 - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM

It absolutely is a big invasion of privacy. Imagine what would happen if he refused to take the test. He is just well compensated for it.

• Matt Adams - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Does it hurt? Are any other findings released to the public? Does somebody else have to hold your junk for you? I don’t get the invasion part.

• stex52 - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Can you refuse it? Does it show things that are truly no one else’s business? Can it be leaked to the press? Can a bunch of bloggers speculate on your personal habits due to unintentional or unintentional leaking or results?

• koreanfandeath - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Stex-were you making an unfortunate pun with regards to “unintentional leaking?”

• stex52 - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Unintentional when I typed it. I saw it before I sent it and figured, “Hell, why not?”.

• Bryz - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM

You have to have someone watch you pee in the cup. I’d call that an invasion of privacy.

4. brewer3 - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

As long as writers feel that they have to hedge by writing, “if he, once again, hits a boatload of homers,” it’ll be safe to expect that stories about Bautista’s possibly being on PED’s will continue. Players have stretches in their career when they put up their best numbers. Even if Bautista does not match his HR output of the past few years going forward, it does not mean he took PED’s during his career peak.

5. mox19380 - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:33 AM

If this guy just keeps hitting, keeps passing these tests, and keeps giving fan friendly answers like this he will go a long way towards insuring his legacy and perhaps change the culture of athletes attitudes towards testing in sports.

6. Kyle - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Way to take the high road, Joey Batts. Just makes all the witch hunters look even more ridiculous than they already are.

7. buffalomafia - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM

How do you know if players go back to thete countries loke Columbia, Mexico, Puerto Rico & juice up for 6-8 weeks after the season is over?

If there turn is up to get tested then they could drink some supplement to get rid of evidence?

Just wondering? I think its legal to juice in Mexico?

• foreverchipper10 - Jan 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Stop ending statements with question marks.

kthxby

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3713)