Jan 31, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The Miami Marlins have figured out a way to erase the embarrassment of poor attendance figures: Make fewer tickets available. Brilliant!
The Marlins have announced a sellout for their first game at their new ballpark, a contest against the University of Miami on March 6, reports the Miami Herald.
Of course calling it a sellout is a tad misleading, as the team limited capacity for the game to 10,000. For some reason, there are 15,000 seats available for the Marlins’ game against Florida International the next day. That matchup, not surprisingly, has yet to sell out.
To be fair (which takes the fun out of everything!) we’re talking about exhibition games here. Drawing 10,000 for a non-counter against a college team isn’t too shabby.
Smartly, the Marlins have kept the actual capacity of their new stadium on the smallish side – 37,000 – so with a pretty exciting team featuring the likes of Jose Reyes, Mike Stanton and Josh Johnson (and Yoenis Cespedes?), the Marlins ought to be able to claim some actual sellouts in 2012, at least during the early part of the season.
You can view progress on the completion of the new stadium here.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)