Jan 31, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The Miami Marlins have figured out a way to erase the embarrassment of poor attendance figures: Make fewer tickets available. Brilliant!
The Marlins have announced a sellout for their first game at their new ballpark, a contest against the University of Miami on March 6, reports the Miami Herald.
Of course calling it a sellout is a tad misleading, as the team limited capacity for the game to 10,000. For some reason, there are 15,000 seats available for the Marlins’ game against Florida International the next day. That matchup, not surprisingly, has yet to sell out.
To be fair (which takes the fun out of everything!) we’re talking about exhibition games here. Drawing 10,000 for a non-counter against a college team isn’t too shabby.
Smartly, the Marlins have kept the actual capacity of their new stadium on the smallish side – 37,000 – so with a pretty exciting team featuring the likes of Jose Reyes, Mike Stanton and Josh Johnson (and Yoenis Cespedes?), the Marlins ought to be able to claim some actual sellouts in 2012, at least during the early part of the season.
You can view progress on the completion of the new stadium here.
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 5
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 40
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)