Jan 31, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The Miami Marlins have figured out a way to erase the embarrassment of poor attendance figures: Make fewer tickets available. Brilliant!
The Marlins have announced a sellout for their first game at their new ballpark, a contest against the University of Miami on March 6, reports the Miami Herald.
Of course calling it a sellout is a tad misleading, as the team limited capacity for the game to 10,000. For some reason, there are 15,000 seats available for the Marlins’ game against Florida International the next day. That matchup, not surprisingly, has yet to sell out.
To be fair (which takes the fun out of everything!) we’re talking about exhibition games here. Drawing 10,000 for a non-counter against a college team isn’t too shabby.
Smartly, the Marlins have kept the actual capacity of their new stadium on the smallish side – 37,000 – so with a pretty exciting team featuring the likes of Jose Reyes, Mike Stanton and Josh Johnson (and Yoenis Cespedes?), the Marlins ought to be able to claim some actual sellouts in 2012, at least during the early part of the season.
You can view progress on the completion of the new stadium here.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)