Jan 31, 2012, 10:18 PM EST
From the Fresno Bee comes word that burglars recently broke into Matt Garza‘s Fresno County, California home and stole his 2008 American League championship ring which he earned while pitching with the Rays. The robbery happened at some point between January 26 and this morning.
The ring, which is engraved with Garza’s name and has several white diamonds and one yellow diamond, is valued at $30,000.
Garza was named the ALCS MVP in 2008 after going 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA with a 14/6 K/BB ratio over 13 innings against the Red Sox. The Rays went on to lose to the Phillies in the World Series in five games.
Garza and his current team, the Cubs, have an arbitration hearing scheduled for this Friday. The 28-year-old right-hander requested $12.5 million and was offered $7.95 million from the Cubs when arbitration figures were exchanged earlier this month. Despite the sizable gap between the two sides, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reported earlier this evening that the Cubs are still hopeful of reaching a settlement prior to a hearing.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 16
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)