Jan 31, 2012, 10:18 PM EST
From the Fresno Bee comes word that burglars recently broke into Matt Garza‘s Fresno County, California home and stole his 2008 American League championship ring which he earned while pitching with the Rays. The robbery happened at some point between January 26 and this morning.
The ring, which is engraved with Garza’s name and has several white diamonds and one yellow diamond, is valued at $30,000.
Garza was named the ALCS MVP in 2008 after going 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA with a 14/6 K/BB ratio over 13 innings against the Red Sox. The Rays went on to lose to the Phillies in the World Series in five games.
Garza and his current team, the Cubs, have an arbitration hearing scheduled for this Friday. The 28-year-old right-hander requested $12.5 million and was offered $7.95 million from the Cubs when arbitration figures were exchanged earlier this month. Despite the sizable gap between the two sides, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reported earlier this evening that the Cubs are still hopeful of reaching a settlement prior to a hearing.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 119
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (122)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)