Nyjer Morgan will practice with the San Jose Sharks tomorrow

Jan 31, 2012, 9:10 PM EST

Arizona Diamondbacks v Milwaukee Brewers - Game 5 Getty Images

We’ve seen Nyjer Morgan cross-check major league catchers in the past, but he’ll have a chance to go back to his roots tomorrow. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the outspoken outfielder will suit up to practice with his hometown San Jose Sharks.

“I’m really excited to get on the ice with the team,” said Morgan. “I’ve been a diehard fan since the team came to San Jose in 1991. I will never forget the George Kingston and Patty Falloon days. I’m not sure the guys are ready for me!”

Morgan gave up hockey about a decade ago in order to focus on baseball, but he did play with the Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League in 1999-2000. You can watch him on the ice here. He scored two goals in seven games and wouldn’t you know it, he also logged 20 penalty minutes.

Zack Greinke began last season on the disabled list after breaking his rib in a pickup basketball game prior to spring training, so some minor trepidation on the Brewers’ part would be understandable, but GM Doug Melvin told McCalvy that they aren’t concerned given Morgan’s previous experience as a hockey player. The Brewers and Morgan avoided arbitration earlier this month by agreeing to a one-year, $2.35 million contract, but the deal is not guaranteed.

1. okwhitefalcon - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I’m fairly certain this guy wouldn’t mind seeing Morgan on the ice..

• spudchukar - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Outstanding!

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Good work Falcon!

2. isujames - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:52 PM

ballhead bastard

3. sjsharksfan11 - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’m disgusted the organization is letting this lunatic criminal around. Unprofessional and disappointing. His behavior is unacceptable

4. cavredleg15 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM

sjsharksfan11… How exactly is Nyger Morgan a Criminal? Has he ever been convicted of a crime? I’d hate to assume your race and call you out on it… My favorite team has a player who for all accounts has sexually assaulted at least two women. Do you also feel the same about him?

• cshearing - Feb 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Don’t respond. He’s one of the biggest trolls on prohockeytalk.com. In fact, he and a few others have made me look elsewhere for my hockey news.

• cavredleg15 - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I’m fairly new here… Hope you didn’t out me as a troll…

5. AlohaMrHand - Feb 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Can he play defense?Rhe Sharks are hurting on defense.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5833)
  2. M. Kemp (3260)
  3. J. Kang (3231)
  4. C. McGehee (3093)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3068)
  1. J. Upton (3001)