Jan 31, 2012, 9:20 AM EST
Tony Sanchez, the Pirates’ top catcher prospect, again got into hot water with the team when he sustained a broken jaw in a bar brawl earlier this offseason.
Sources told the Tribune-Review the fight happened about three months ago while Sanchez, 23, was participating in the Florida Instructional League. No police charges were filed.
This is neither the first time Sanchez has (a) done something dumb; or (b) broken his jaw.
The dumb came last May when Sanchez ripped umpires on Twitter. But at least he apologized for that.
The jaw came in 2010 when he missed tons of time after being hit by pitches. Of course the previous jaw break wasn’t his fault. Unless he taunted the baseballs and they thought he was asking for it.
The linked article says that Sanchez appears to be healthy now and will be ready for spring training, where he will be a non-roster invite by the Pirates. No word on what the Pirates are going to do to him for the fisticuffsmanship, because no one is commenting.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)