Jan 31, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Tony Sanchez, the Pirates’ top catcher prospect, again got into hot water with the team when he sustained a broken jaw in a bar brawl earlier this offseason.
Sources told the Tribune-Review the fight happened about three months ago while Sanchez, 23, was participating in the Florida Instructional League. No police charges were filed.
This is neither the first time Sanchez has (a) done something dumb; or (b) broken his jaw.
The dumb came last May when Sanchez ripped umpires on Twitter. But at least he apologized for that.
The jaw came in 2010 when he missed tons of time after being hit by pitches. Of course the previous jaw break wasn’t his fault. Unless he taunted the baseballs and they thought he was asking for it.
The linked article says that Sanchez appears to be healthy now and will be ready for spring training, where he will be a non-roster invite by the Pirates. No word on what the Pirates are going to do to him for the fisticuffsmanship, because no one is commenting.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)