Jan 31, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Tony Sanchez, the Pirates’ top catcher prospect, again got into hot water with the team when he sustained a broken jaw in a bar brawl earlier this offseason.
Sources told the Tribune-Review the fight happened about three months ago while Sanchez, 23, was participating in the Florida Instructional League. No police charges were filed.
This is neither the first time Sanchez has (a) done something dumb; or (b) broken his jaw.
The dumb came last May when Sanchez ripped umpires on Twitter. But at least he apologized for that.
The jaw came in 2010 when he missed tons of time after being hit by pitches. Of course the previous jaw break wasn’t his fault. Unless he taunted the baseballs and they thought he was asking for it.
The linked article says that Sanchez appears to be healthy now and will be ready for spring training, where he will be a non-roster invite by the Pirates. No word on what the Pirates are going to do to him for the fisticuffsmanship, because no one is commenting.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)