Jan 31, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Hall of Fame pitcher Old Hoss Radbourn died in 1897. Those of you who follow the baseball rebop on Twitter, however, know that his ghost haunts social media. And despite the fact that he died 76 years before I was born, he has more than three times as many Twitter followers than me. Vexing.
Anyway, Hoss gave an interview to Jon Weisman of the newly-independent Dodger Thoughts, and it runs today. It’s all worth a read, especially if you’re a Dodgers fan, but my favorite bit is about fandom. It serves as a wonderful rejoinder to the comments of some of the Philly fans in that post about booing this morning:
2) The Dodgers play in Los Angeles. What kind of appeal does this city hold for an oldtimer like yourself?
None, I am afraid. Base ball is meant to be played in nasty, inclement weather with angry, miserable louts for fans who take the sport too seriously and seek nothing more than to horse-whip you for making the slightest of mistakes. I believe this insane misanthropy has in recent years been mis-labeled as “passion.”
Hoss has already paid the ultimate price. He has no reason to lie.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)