Quote of the Day: Old Hoss Radbourn

Jan 31, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

Old Hoss Radbourn

Hall of Fame pitcher Old Hoss Radbourn died in 1897.  Those of you who follow the baseball rebop on Twitter, however, know that his ghost haunts social media. And despite the fact that he died 76 years before I was born, he has more than three times as many Twitter followers than me. Vexing.

Anyway, Hoss gave an interview to Jon Weisman of the newly-independent Dodger Thoughts, and it runs today.  It’s all worth a read, especially if you’re a Dodgers fan, but my favorite bit is about fandom. It serves as a wonderful rejoinder to the comments of some of the Philly fans in that post about booing this morning:

2) The Dodgers play in Los Angeles. What kind of appeal does this city hold for an oldtimer like yourself?

None, I am afraid. Base ball is meant to be played in nasty, inclement weather with angry, miserable louts for fans who take the sport too seriously and seek nothing more than to horse-whip you for making the slightest of mistakes. I believe this insane misanthropy has in recent years been mis-labeled as “passion.”

Hoss has already paid the ultimate price. He has no reason to lie.

1. Gamera the Brave - Jan 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Any ghost who wins 59 games in one season – I go with what he says…

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Old Hoss is getting soft in his old age. I picture him inviting boos then following home the perpetrators to share a shiv or two with them. There are many stories of Mantle and Maris being booed harshly by NY fans. They were considered good ball players weren’t they? I hate using Bleacher Report, but the article sums it up well. Booing isn’t some “new thing” and is far from just a “philly thing”.

3. Old Gator - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I know you’re up there Craig….I can smell…your…brrrrraaaayyyyyyyyyyyiiiinnnnnnn…..

4. sdelmonte - Jan 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM

He’s popular because of the ‘stache. You need a ‘stache, Craig.

• frankvzappa - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The ‘stache wouldn’t do the trick…the appeal is in the name. Unfortunately, Old Hoss Calcaterra doesn’t have the same ring to it.

• randomdigits - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I think the main difference is Old Hoss is almost always entertaining not just when talking about stadium deals and steroid related court proceedings.

5. 59in84 - Jan 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Read how Old Hoss won 59 games in one season, starting 73 and completing 73! “59 in 84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had.” http://bit.ly/zs1eBp

• 59in84 - Jan 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Make that http://amzn.to/vWsrN7

6. noolmusic - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Social media can be engaging my many ways these days !

Best Quotes for Twitter

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5561)