Skip Schumaker’s baseball card is pretty awesome

Jan 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EST

Not sure how I missed this yesterday, but via my NBC comrade Rick Chandler over at Off the Bench, we learn that there are baseball cards way better than the Photoshopped Jose Reyes and Albert Pujols cards. Specifically, Skip Shumaker’s:

source:

That, of course, is from last season’s NLDS, when the varmint messed with Roy Oswalt and Schumaker (and Angel Hernandez, but he doesn’t need squirrels to cause him to mess up).

It’s no Billy Ripken, but not a bad card.

1. okwhitefalcon - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The “other” (wink wink) limited edition Topps run of Lance Berkman cards is better, see here:

• marshmallowsnake - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I missed Lance…where was he?

• dcfan4life - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Ha, Topps cracks me up. Im willing to bet there are more like those 2. Funny how when a pretty girl runs on the field there isnt a single security officer in the photo haha…

• Bryz - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Read the story. Apparently her boyfriend was captured rather fast, but she did a better job eluding them.

I mean… I’m a Target Field usher and I disapprove of field jumpers… or something. *glances back at Lance Berkman’s cute girl card*

• Bryz - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Oops, forgot the link. If you click on okwhitefalcon’s link, you’ll find this one, which is an interview with that girl. http://www.kfns.com/JoeSportsFan/Story.aspx?id=1524011

2. marshmallowsnake - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

All Skip got was his foot on the card?

3. Chipmaker - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Schumaker will have a more standard card. This one with the squirrel will be a short-printed variation.

• 78mu - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Someone gave Craig some bad information. That’s not Schumaker’s card, it’s the squirrel’s card.

• Gamera the Brave - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:11 PM

78 – if you are correct, then the squirrel must ALSO be named “Skip Schumaker”, per the card.
        What are the odds?…

4. cur68 - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Huh. Saw this yesterday on OTB. Why is that hairy tailed rate green?

5. kiwicricket - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Meerkat? Gator, please confirm…

6. thefalcon123 - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Skip Schumaker: The guy best known as the person at the plate that one time that squirrel ran by. What a legacy.

• cur68 - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM

You think the squirrel deserves her own card?

• kiwicricket - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I’m curious to know how you know it’s a female

• Utley's Hair - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM

His beaver experience helps with rodentia gender ID.

• kiwicricket - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM

‘Beaver experience’ …..on a baseball blog.
        I really do love this site.

• cur68 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Kiwi, if you can’t tell the girls from the boys when you see some tail then I cannot help you. Some things you gotta be born with.

• natstowngreg - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM

A Rally Squirrel card? Absolutely!

Just wondering, did the Angels’ Rally Monkey ever get his/her own card?

7. Utley's Hair - Jan 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

And this would be why Oswalt’s been linked to the Cards—he wants revenge. After all, Chuck did mention something about hunting the damn varmints….

8. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I hope the Cardinals get Championship Rings made for two of the biggest reasons they won the NLDS last year…that damn squirrel and Cliff Lee.

(yeah, Cliffy…im still pretty bitter)

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Yeah…cause’ it was all the Squirrel…and all Cliff’s pitching. Nothing at all to do with the Cardinals putting solid Wood on the ball. LOL! Sorry Chris. I saw your post and just had to pick up where we left off last year. Please forgive me. I was truly joking.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

LOL…the squirrel was just a joke, but Cliff Lee…well, he is persona non grata in Philly these days. But the really cool part about him is that he accepts it. He knows he cost the team the NLDS last year. And he will be more motivated than ever to not let it happen again. And once he puts on #33 down in Clearwater, all will be forgiven for game 2 of the NLDS…where he was handed a 4-0 lead in the 3rd inning and proceeded to give up 5 ER on 12 hits and 2 walks in 6+ innings. After going 17-8 with a 2.40 ERA, 1.027 WHIP in his previous 32 games…grrrrrrrrrrrrr

• thefalcon123 - Jan 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Why is it Cliff Lee’s fault? Polanco and Ruiz went a combined 3-36, Howard and Pence both posted sub .500 OPS’, and Roy Oswalt coughed up just as many runs as Cliff Lee.

9. giselleisasucubus - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I love that you referenced the old Billy Ripken “f&*kface” card. I had that as a kid. I sold it to a card shop and I still regret it to this day.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5211)
  2. M. Kemp (3102)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2787)
  4. C. McGehee (2786)