Jan 31, 2012, 5:33 PM EST
On a personal note, allow me to say how happy I am that he’s out of the NL East. He could be 98 years-old with an ERA of infinity and he’d still go eight innings while giving up one run on four hits against the Braves. It’s carved in stone someplace. God I really don’t like him.
Taking my bitter fan hat off, I’ll say that it’s a fine signing for the Astros. The one thing Hernandez does better than messing with the Braves is taking the ball every five days and putting up something like 200 not-great-but-basically-serviceable innings a year.
When you’re a team going noplace like the Astros are, that’s really valuable. It saves the pen and takes pressure off the young arms. Getting a guy like that on a minor league deal that will probably turn into, what, a million bucks in major league salary this year is just good sense.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)