Jan 31, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
On a personal note, allow me to say how happy I am that he’s out of the NL East. He could be 98 years-old with an ERA of infinity and he’d still go eight innings while giving up one run on four hits against the Braves. It’s carved in stone someplace. God I really don’t like him.
Taking my bitter fan hat off, I’ll say that it’s a fine signing for the Astros. The one thing Hernandez does better than messing with the Braves is taking the ball every five days and putting up something like 200 not-great-but-basically-serviceable innings a year.
When you’re a team going noplace like the Astros are, that’s really valuable. It saves the pen and takes pressure off the young arms. Getting a guy like that on a minor league deal that will probably turn into, what, a million bucks in major league salary this year is just good sense.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)