Jan 31, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
On a personal note, allow me to say how happy I am that he’s out of the NL East. He could be 98 years-old with an ERA of infinity and he’d still go eight innings while giving up one run on four hits against the Braves. It’s carved in stone someplace. God I really don’t like him.
Taking my bitter fan hat off, I’ll say that it’s a fine signing for the Astros. The one thing Hernandez does better than messing with the Braves is taking the ball every five days and putting up something like 200 not-great-but-basically-serviceable innings a year.
When you’re a team going noplace like the Astros are, that’s really valuable. It saves the pen and takes pressure off the young arms. Getting a guy like that on a minor league deal that will probably turn into, what, a million bucks in major league salary this year is just good sense.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 12
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 56
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)