The Astros sign Livan Hernandez to a minor league deal

Jan 31, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT

Livan Hernandez Getty Images

Ken Rosenthal reports that the Houston Astros have signed Livan Hernandez to a minor league deal.

On a personal note, allow me to say how happy I am that he’s out of the NL East. He could be 98 years-old with an ERA of infinity and he’d still go eight innings while giving up one run on four hits against the Braves. It’s carved in stone someplace. God I really don’t like him.

Taking my bitter fan hat off, I’ll say that it’s a fine signing for the Astros.  The one thing Hernandez does better than messing with the Braves is taking the ball every five days and putting up something like 200 not-great-but-basically-serviceable innings a year.

When you’re a team going noplace like the Astros are, that’s really valuable. It saves the pen and takes pressure off the young arms. Getting a guy like that on a minor league deal that will probably turn into, what, a million bucks in major league salary this year is just good sense.

1. missthemexpos - Jan 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM

If you were to look up ” pitcher that eats innings” don’t be surprised if a picture of Hernandez pops up. 14 years in a row with a minimum of 175 innings.

2. yankeesgameday - Jan 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM

If that is his real name

3. 78mu - Jan 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM

He might be the best pinch hitter on the Astros bench most nights.

4. sumerduckman - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I’m glad the man got a gig, but I was hoping the Nats would re-sign him for the long reliever role.
    Plus, he has the added option for the manager to be able to call on him to lay down a bunt, or poke one through the infield, as a late/extra inning pinch hitter without burning one of the position players.

5. stex52 - Feb 1, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I feel like I’m watching the Titanic sail through the ice field. Every move the Astros make just shows how bad they are going to be this year. Now they are admitting all of these young prospects we are supposed to be so excited about aren’t really going to be able to carry the load.

Every move I see is a stop gap.

6. pogodog7 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM