The Marlins in action in their new uniforms. No Photoshop this time

Jan 31, 2012, 12:30 PM EST

Marlins Miami new logo

Yesterday, after I posted that Photoshopped baseball card of Jose Reyes, I was alerted to the fact that there are bona fide action photos of the Marlins — including the new Marlins — in their new uniforms.  You can see a gallery of them over at Fox Sports Florida.

They came courtesy of the Miami Marlins themselves, so I’m assuming they were taken for the purposes of promotional materials, TV commercials or something like that. Can’t exactly sell the new product with the old players in their old duds in the old ballpark.

I’m gonna admit it: I like the uniforms more than I thought I would.  No, they’re not on par with the Tigers, Yankees or Dodgers or anything when it comes to looking awesome, but there’s something very fresh about them. I like that a team has eschewed the faux classic look. Which is only appropriate given that the Marlins are not exactly classic themselves. Nothing that is less than 20 years-old can be.

Anyway: here’s to trying new things and looking forward and all of that. Glad to see someone in baseball doing it.

1. braddavery - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I didn’t think I would like them either, but they do have a cool retro look to them. There’s a vintage ’70s to early ’80s baseball vibe going on.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Like Austin Power’s hairstyle?

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM

….Powers’….

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

2. poseidonsfist - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Still look too much like a college uniform to me

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I had to do a double take on the whites. I thougth they were Hurricane jersey’s. The orange doesn’t help with that.

3. marshmallowsnake - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The Tigers, Yankees and Dodgers all have dull uniforms. Classics, but dull at the same time.

4. nagrommit - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:01 PM

They must just not be a fan of the orange cap they’ve got. It’s been missing in all of the promotional stuff they’ve done so far.

5. pfunk42 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Did you notice Hanley seems to be playing shortstop in these photos?

6. stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Hideous looking. I can’t decide which looks worse…the Black Uni’s or the White Uni’s.
    Probably the White Uni’s. Strangely, the Orange version seems too be a little easier on the eye’s.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

At least it doesn’t have a bunch of unnecessary apostrophes.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Thanks for the input Stymie.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Don’t you mean thank’s?

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM

What I found most ironic is your use of an apostrophe while talking shit about using apostrophes.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Holy cow. I had you pegged for a dullard, but that may not have been an appropriately severe diagnosis. I apologize for picking on such an easy target — the proverbial fish in a barrel, if you will.

7. aceshigh11 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I agree with what someone else said: the logo and the uniforms are starting to grow on me, big-time.

I can’t believe it, honestly, but I’m really starting to dig them.

What’s…happening…to…me? (imitates the guy who drank from the wrong grail in The Last Crusade)

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM

You chose poorly.

8. acdc363 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Call me crazy but those are actually pretty cool. Grew on me fast.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM

So does nail fungus.

9. yettyskills - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Ill admit he uni’s in play look better than the logo on a webpage

10. snowbirdgothic - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

It still screams “repurposed corporate golf shirt” to me.

11. itsacurse - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM

WAIT. Why is Hanley turning a double play from short on slide 11?? Shouldn’t he be manning third?

• chadjones27 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:41 PM

They were practicing the Ryan Howard over-shift

12. amhendrick - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM

How many different uniforms have the Marlins had in their 20 years? I like this one OK, but I hope they stick with it awhile.

13. vanmorrissey - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Looking nice except for the Orange tops remind me of Orioles, those don’t care for very much but the rest are OK.

14. cur68 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Yep, I still seem to like them. Noted that Reyes’ tats go very well with them, too. Must be getting senile.

15. kwags70 - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Interesting. Not one regular who frequents my local sports bar in South Florida thinks that the new Marlins uniforms are even remotely attractive. “Absurd” and “girly” are the words I’ve heard used the most. Further … is there nothing else to write about? Fashion assessments? Really?

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

My sports bar is nearer to UM., so we use words like “gauche,” “kitschy,” “flashin’ forward” or “they suck.”

• crisisjunky - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

yeah, I just shot a glance, and linked on through to the Fishleader pics…………
      mmmm, much better looking, and likely a few will be prominently displayed alongside
      those color-coordinated Tats on Jose’s arm.

16. e5again - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I like the white Jersey quite a bit. But the black and the orange are pretty terrible if you ask me. Maybe I just don’t like solid color jerseys…

17. e5again - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I like the white Jersey quite a bit. But the black and the orange are pretty terrible if you ask me. Maybe I just don’t like solid colored jerseys…

18. jasonc2300 - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM